Where you'll see $4 gasoline

cavanami

I have heard the whining that the USA gas price is waaaaaaay to cheap when compared with what they pay in the EU.

However, look at the social benefits that they get in the EU compared to the non-benfits that we get in the USA, for example;

Unemployment

USA = 6 months, then you get ZERO!!!

EU, 18 ~ 24 months, then the benefits are reduced.

BIG difference in the social benefits, thus the higher gas prices (tax).

USA Gas Price Above $4.00!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The taxes on gas are supposed to go for roads and other transportation,

I Europe the taxes are MUCH more and used for all kinds of things that are not Auto related,

I remember years ago where Germany raised their petrol prices 25 pennings a liter / 1 mark a gallon/ 1 mark was 60 US cents then,

And this was OVERNIGHT , I filled up at 11pm the night before !

This money was to help pay for DDR-East Germany construction,

If you raised the taxes 60 cents overnight in the USA there would be riots !

OC

$3.25 for our 3.85 liter/gallon regular gasoline here

I am paying about $3.46 a gallon in the SFO area, have seen it as high as $3.86. About $.60 higher than the national average...or something...the assholes here calling for higher prices to promote conservation are the rich celebrities who have tons of extra cash already, and would still be able to pay the %5+ a gallon prices they are calling for, the rest of us would not be able to afford it...

Side note, I don't feel we really get anything/much for all the taxes overt and hidden, that we pay here...

Higher prices just to force conservation will affect other things related to driving. Most produce is transported by trucking, so a rise inyour veggie prices and fruit prices; many americans holiday by car, so you have families who will stay home rather than drive to the New Jersey shore on the east coast or the Grand Canyon or Disney Land on the west. We may not like SVUs but they also support a lot of jobs and those may be gone. The airline industry will take a massive hit with higher fuel prices.

I'm all for conservation, even the elimination of oil as a source of energy but just raising prices arbitrarily isn't the answer. Forcing the public won't work, convincing the public may, either through incentives or whatever other means.

just raising prices arbitrarily isn't the answer.

Maybe not THE answer, but it is AN answer to generate lower consumption.

Forcing the public won't work

Yes it would.

If the US raised tax in gas to the EU levels they could afford another war :thumbup: (or waste it on free healthcare :thumbdown: )

I can't say I give a flying fuck about green stuff, but I do care about saving............money :grin:

not going to happen ,

a few years ago they tried to raise taxes 2-3 cents a gallon,

everyone went crazy ,

if they tried to raise it 50 cents a gallon they would all be voted out,

Its a losing issue , just not going to happen

So they bullshit us with E85 - alchol based fuel and LPG/ nateral gas,

E85 is a waste of energy, the only good it does is for corn farmers , and what happens if they have a bad crop year ? Price of E85 goes up or the price of corn flakes ! Already the price of torttias has gone up in Mexico as the corn is being sold to the USA.

Anyway , I will still drive my V8 van , when I am in Europe I will cry at the price of fuel and pay it .....

OC

with too many cars , and yes a vested intert in keeping fuel prices down....

John Anderson in 1980 ran for President on a "raise gas prices 50 cents" campaign and look how far he got (although I voted for him). When gas was between $1.50-2.00 a gallon, I would have been for raising gas prices, if for no other reason than cutting gas consumption and having the Arab countries take in less money to fund terriorism.

Archived