Where you'll see $4 gasoline

cavanami

not going to happen

Never said it would :)

a V8 in europe? no reason why not - but you could instead buy something local. the advantage (apart from being more fuel efficient and cheaper) is that it would be FASTER as it would be capable of going around corners :grin:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have been for raising gas prices, if for no other reason than cutting gas consumption and having the Arab countries take in less money to fund terriorism.

This is something that irritates me, America moaning about being dependent on foreigners for oil and doing nothing (or little) to break the dependency.

Kinda like a crack addict moaning about the street price. and for me attracts as much sympathy.

ACtually, we aren't, or maybe aren't that dependent on it. I justr read we only get 20% from the Arabs...could eliminate it with Nuclear power...that would send a nice message to these fuckers in Big Oil...also read we have a huge supply here in the USA to last for "like 500 years" while we figured something out...

Remember Desert Shield/Desert Storm in 1992? With the war going on over Kuwait, oil prices soared. The companies said it was because it was harder to get. But a few companies used only North American oil -- and they raised their prices just as high as the other companies!

:cussing:

I still think its a good idea to move away from oil anyway. I would hope that the G8 would all decide on something. If they do the rest of the world has no choice but to go along for the sake of their own economies. Ween ourselves off it, decide on something else, and by doing that we may indirectly solve some of the geo-political problems that come with reliance on oil.

Problem is...it is all about $$$.

The common Joe and Mary, not even in the equation, other then for the big companies to think of how they can suck money $$$ from Joe and Mary!

Bastards!!!

If they (G8, USA, etc) really wanted to ween "us" off oil, raise the price to $20/gallon.

Use the extra funds to payback those that bought, say electric cars for example...

The technology is there but with all the lobby folks sliding HUGE $$$ under the table to the "best politicians" that money can buy...it will never happen!

You got it right cavanami. We are stupid in being sucked in by those who have it and want more. This last increase occured as a result of British sailors being captured. When they were released, it didn't drop, but then, nobody has asked why not?

$4.00 a gallon, my ass. They will not stop tell they get $5.00 to $6.50. And nobody, yes nobody, is going to stop them.

CS and all,

"America's oil shale reserves are enormous, totaling at least 1.5 trillion barrels of oil. That's five times the reserves of Saudi Arabia! And yet, no one is producing commercial quantities of oil from these vast deposits. All

that oil is still sitting right where God left it, buried under the vast landscapes of Colorado and Wyoming."

Check this out: http://www.dailyreckoning.com/rpt/OilShale.html

Cent

p.s. I think America has many more of these reserves where, once the Middle East oil runs down and other places with oil, they'll have the technology to release this oil easier in the future. I think we are saving this for the future, and with this and other sources of oil, plus new renewable alternative energies and nuclear energy, dependence on the middle east will eventually become a thing of the past.

Makes sense to me really. We use up everyone else's oil reserves, then later we hold the largest reserves (along with a few friendlier countries-Canada comes to mind Here: http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=17576 "During the past few years, Canada has tapped its bountiful tar sands to produce 175 billion barrels of oil, giving it the second largest oil reserves in the world, behind only Saudi Arabia.") and hopefully by then we'll have the technology to make this oil easier to retrieve. Bingo. Now the shoe is on the other foot, we bought the oil in cheaper prices from the countries that will one day need OUR oil, at much higher prices in the future when oil is even scarcer. Just a thought, although I wonder if this is a thought-out strategy, or just because it is easier to pump out the ME oil than to retrieve the oil in the shale, cheaper as well. Right now retreiving shale oil is not economically worthwhile, but as the prices continue to increase it will soon be seen as worth doing, and the USA has extensive reserves of this.

Cent

Archived