Illegal immigrants sue CA dealership for fraud

liquidflux

More evidence that this state, and country, are going to hell in a handbasket. :cussing:

Link

Hereâ??s an interesting question arising from a series of lawsuits filed in California: Should a person who is in the United States illegally and used a fraudulent Social Security number to buy a car be able to sue the selling dealer for fraud?

Here are the particulars, according to a report in the Modesto (CA) Bee:

Two Modesto-area car dealerships are accused in separate lawsuits of taking advantage of Latino customers by failing to provide Spanish-language copies of their sales and financing agreements, as required by California law. In some cases, the customers also complained about problems with the vehicles.

These alleged victims are illegal immigrants who admitted during depositions that they used stolen or otherwise fraudulent Social Security numbers to obtain driver's licenses and jobs, and as ID to get financing.

The local district attorney's office opted not to prosecute them for being in the United States illegally or for using fraudulent information to obtain IDs and financing.

A deputy district attorney said police investigators couldn't locate the people whose Social Security numbers have been stolen. No victims, no crimes. "We're asking them to enforce the law," said the attorney who represents one of the dealers. The lawyer said his private investigator had no trouble locating three people whose Social Security numbers were compromised by the plaintiffs. They included a woman living in northern Arizona and another whose deceased husband's identity was stolen.

In all four lawsuits, the same attorney represents the plaintiffs.

Three plaintiffs, at the dealerâ??s request, brought their vehicles to the dealership for inspection last March. The Ceres police arrested all three at the dealership. One was deported. The district attorney, as mentioned earlier, decided not to prosecute the others.

Now the three cases will work their way through the civil courts.

The dealers argue that the plaintiffs' claims have no merit and should be thrown out.

"Had they not filled out credit applications fraudulently, there never would have been a negotiation in any language," the dealersâ?? lawyer said.

The judge hearing the cases denied a motion for dismissal.

So, should a person who is here illegally and used a fraudulent Social Security number to buy a car be able to sue the dealer for fraud?

I agree with the dealers' attorney, but I ain't no legal expert.

Saw something on the local news last night where some kid's social security # had been used like 100 times to obtain fake IDs, causing major headaches for the guy, as you can imagine.

The POS cited was the MacArthur Park section of LA, which is notorious for this type of crime. Legal kids also go there to buy fake driver's licenses in order to drink in the bars, underaged. If you see a working payphone, it's either being used for a drug deal or to call Central America on someone else's dime. Some of the dirtiest looking motels and hos I have ever seen (not that I know, I only looked :). Used condoms all over the streets. Nice neighborhood!

Personally, I think the actions of the DA are a joke. He knows that...

1. These guys are here illegally

2. They used fraudulent information to purchase these cars, and who knows what else.

Yet, he opts not to pursue charges. Is it not part of his oath of office to uphold the law? I'm sure the fact that the area where this story takes place has a heavy concentration of illegals played a part, but still, the guy should be booted out of office for not doing his job. If it was a legal citizen who'd been caught doing the same thing I have no doubts they'd be sitting in a jail cell right now. The whole thing sends a message to every other illegal out there that they too can break the law and have no fear of consequence. It's crazy.

The illegal immigrants should be able to sue the dealership. They should also be deported. If they win the case against the dealership, the judgement should be confiscated by the US government. If they lose the case, the lawyer for the plaintiffs should pay for all court and legal expenses.

HeartThais

Reg: 07/03/2007

Offline 28/04/2007 16:15 - Post#590819 New Reply

In response to liquidflux - Illegal immigrants sue CA dealership for fraud

The illegal immigrants should be able to sue the dealership. They should also be deported. If they win the case against the dealership, the judgement should be confiscated by the US government. If they lose the case, the lawyer for the plaintiffs should pay for all court and legal expenses.

* Print

* Email

* Quick Reply

Bangkoktraveler

. . . wish bone

Bangkoktraveler

Loc: ......end of the road.

Reg: 07/08/2005

Offline 28/04/2007 16:19 - Post#590822 New Reply

In response to Julian2 - Illegal immigrants sue CA dealership for fraud

If a citizen takes on another person's identity, it is identity theft and when caught, get prosecuted. If an illegal does it..... well they are hard working non citizens and they are upstanding in the community and ..... some more bullshit.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his

bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: April 4th, 1984

Agree with both of you...if the dealer used fraud, punish them, and the illegals as well. Any gain from the settlement should benifit the victim of the ID fraud...

The reasons why attorneys and the 'undocumented' (I like how we give PC names nowadays) are so bold and filing lawsuits and such is that they know in this country they may stand a good chance of winning. We've all heard those stories of what would be considered outlandish lawsuits actually winning. Also, this is a land of lawyers, there is always one that will take a case and fancy his luck at a trial or hope for a settlement before it goes to trial.

The underlying issue at the heart of all this is the illegal immigration problem in the U.S. which has been discussed a few times in the past. Its an economic and political issue. Whatever side of the issue you are on, pro or con, the fact is the trend is toward a legalization of 'illegal' immigration. The demand for the workers are here. The agricultural (and other industries) rely on them in part and they are an integral part of the economy not only in border states now but a growing number in other parts of the U.S. I'm not saying this to say I'm in favor of it. Just stating reality. Politically, nothing will be done. Republicans are afraid of being called racists and Democrats see them as potential voters and supporting them they get the empathy of latino citizens who can vote.

My prediction is it will become more liberalized. The only way I see the border being tightened is if a domestic terrorist act happens and the person and/or materials used came from southern border. Not sure what would happen if it came accross Canada but it will be the '911'-esque' excuse for those who want the border tightened and they will get popular support if that happens.

Latinos are biggest potential untapped political power. In time, they will unite under someone with the charisma and vision. Right now they are disunited. Cubans don't particular care about any other latin group except themselves. Mexicans are not liked by Salvadoreans and other central american peoples. In fact, Mexicans are seen as 'North Americans' to central americans. I didn't know that until people I know who are from Salvador, Guatemala, etc. told me. That's what keeps the California latinos from uniting. Intra group mistrust. Puerto Ricans see themselves uniquely as well.

Archived