Are we in for a turbulent year?

Gadfly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble with turbulence is that it is unpredictable by its very nature. If you look at GDP forecasts for Thailand you will notice a troubling trend. The forecasts predicting the lowest growth rates are generally the most current ones. The more optomistic forecasts are the older forecasts. The latest forecasts I have seen are predicting 3.5% growth. For a country like in Thailand that is not good.

And it get worse. There is the political situation with the new constitution, which could get very ugly. I think I can safely leave it at that without this being political (we just won't go into details about why it might get ugly).

There are the proposed amendments to the Foreign Business Act, which, if enacted and enforced, will require foreigners to sell off their holdings in Thai companies that are currently legal. That will further scare investors, and Thailand needs investment.

Factories are at around 80% capacity, which means it needs new investment to expand capacity. If the proposed amendments are enacted, I think Thailand will have a hard time attracting that investment.

The 3.5% projections already factor in some of the blunders in economic policy and the political uncertainity, but it could worse if the political situation and economic policies get worse (i.e., they actually enact the proposed amendments). I think it's going to be bumpy ride.

I saw something in the news that said the USA would have about 4% growth before all these adjustments I didn't fully understand. Add to that, the political problems here... Seems the world is in a "recession" of some sorts?

The political mood has been around for several years now so nothing new there. As for the economic situation I think China holds most of the cards. China is capable of bring the world to it knees economically whenever it feels like it.

The political mood has been around for several years now so nothing new there. As for the economic situation I think China holds most of the cards. China is capable of bring the world to it knees economically whenever it feels like it.

I find your statement about China a little hard to believe, can you elaborate? I doubt that China could bring the world to it's knees economically tomorrow (although they may be able to one day)

If a country is loved for its cheap labor, low taxation, and weak environmental standards, then at some point it could well bring the world economy to its knees--if it is large enough.

And China is large enough and India is waiting in the wings.

What happens when the Western consumer runs out of money and credit? Who picks up the slack? China? I dont't think so. The world is on tilt, with jobs going to China, profits going to mnc's. For the world economy to function, money must flow throughout its arteries.

This is going to be one hell of a mess. If the pricey-ness of oil doesn't get us first, then this disequilibrium will.

Archived