Are we in for a turbulent year?

Gadfly

The political mood has been around for several years now so nothing new there. As for the economic situation I think China holds most of the cards. China is capable of bring the world to it knees economically whenever it feels like it.

No doubt a true statement. And who would suffer the most?

China.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an article in the business section of yesterday's The Nation about weakening demand for office space (something to think about if your looking for office space in Bangkok). A brokerage - which I think would generally want to make the market look tight to get higher prices - says GDP projections are now at 3%.

Just flew SFO-NRT, was sitting in first class (nose in the air) talking to a Japanese guy, and a Taiwanese guy. Both seem to think Thailand is too much of a risk right now for investments. The fear seems to be the military has no clue, and could really fuck stuff up at any time...or fuck it up worse...

Just flew SFO-NRT, was sitting in first class (nose in the air) talking to a Japanese guy, and a Taiwanese guy. Both seem to think Thailand is too much of a risk right now for investments. The fear seems to be the military has no clue, and could really fuck stuff up at any time...or fuck it up worse...

This is the problem. I just wish those who make decisions here could make what I believe to be some rather obvious connections, such as the connection between: (a) enacting amendments to the Foreign Business Act that will not only prohibit future investments in a wide range of areas but will also, if enforced, require foreingers to divest themselves of holdings that are currently legal and (B) the decline in foreign investment.

Put simply: further restricting investments = reduced investments.

The good news is that I haven't read anything in the press lately about the proposed amendments. Actually, I don't know if that is good or bad news. But I haven't seen or read any news about any radical measures lately, such as capital controls. So maybe they have decided to hold off on further dramatic measures?

The irony here is that the Thai economy would be much better off if they just left it alone. There are measures that should be taken, such as improving the infrastructure, improving education, etc., but I would settle for a hands-off approach until things settle down.

In medicine, isn't the first rule for doctors "do no harm." There should be a similiar rule for economic policy makers.

• 2 weeks later...

Far from a formal survey, but the wife was looking at schools for the little guy this week. Every school she went to said that international student enrollment was off by at least 30% this year. It seems lots of ex-pat families have transferred out of Thailand already.

In my very small group of friends with school-age kids the percentage is around 30% so this may not be too far off.

Alternatively, perhaps they just kept raising prices too much.

I don't think because schools raise prices is why 30% of the families I know no longer live in Thailand. It seems some companies are starting to move some of their personnel to other locations. The current uncertainty I'm sure plays a lot in that.

It's all a scam. Think about it. The army and the elite, the likes of Thaksin included, buy up all the foreign businesses cheap.

They wreck the economy and buy all the real estate possible, and then, a few years later, reverse the changes, restore democracy and re-open for business!

Maybe?

Archived