What Defines Sponsorship?

bust

I think sponsorship is if you are giving money to change the working habits of your girl. This could mean quitting work completely or changing the nature of the work. This could apply to GTG. If you are paying for a girl to attend university full-time, you are sponsoring her.

Helping someone out of a bind is not sponsoring.

However, the third consecutive month of paying for sick buffalo/relative/whatever is sponsoring. ok?!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys sending money to prostitutes from half way around the world and thinking that they are not shacked up with some other punter or Thai pimp (aka "boyfriend") need a checkout at the funny farm.

Sorry guys but wake up and smell the coffee.

Amazing as well the amount of girls you have previously known who manage to find your number when the shit hits the fan. Why bother, would they return the favour, even if they could ? unlikely. som nam na.

Yes, there are some naive people who send money to thai hookers thinking they will be exclusive. I've met just a few of them and they do share some similar traits. They are all working jobs and mostly struggling to get by themselves. I really don't see any point in making them feel stupid so I just keep my mouth shut and let them do what makes them happy. I really don't care how they spend their money and if they go broke, so be it.

I have met many many more farang who are sponsoring girls knowing they are still on the game but basically want right of first refusal whenever they are in town. These are the guys that are either business owners/CEOs or tend not to work anymore. Their girls tend to wear more gold.

I think the majority of the true sponsors are much smarter and more successful than the people criticizing them.

Sponsors are largely suckers. Self made people did not get that way making such stupid decisions.

I would say that most sponsors are not getting any "back home" and thus think with the small head not the large one. They come to LOS too often, use money that should be put to other, better purposes and lose track of reality. They exist only for "their" prostitute in LOS.

If they are single, then it is their right. If they still have family obligations which are being ignored and financially suffering, then it is wrong.

In 2005 I was siting at a bar in Soi 7 and I was listening to this BG bragging in English to a few other girls how she had 2 guy from Germany and 1 guy from England sending her money and she could stay home but she could make more money working as well.

That really put me off ever sending or give money to anyone in Thailand unless I was there and they where living with me at the time.

In 2005 I was siting at a bar in Soi 7 and I was listening to this BG bragging in English to a few other girls how she had 2 guy from Germany and 1 guy from England sending her money and she could stay home but she could make more money working as well.

That really put me off ever sending or give money to anyone in Thailand unless I was there and they where living with me at the time.

Though bargirls often brag about how much cash they get, this is exactly why those 3 guys are as stupid as stupid does.

Sponsors are largely suckers. Self made people did not get that way making such stupid decisions.

Go hang out at one of the expat bars like XBOX on Soi 4. Talk to some of the older guys. They measure their sponsorship by how many houses and rai they've bought for their several honeys, not how many baht they send each month. Yeah, they are suckers alright. I wish I could be a sucker like them too.

I used to play a lot of poker. The poker pros would all giggle to themselves about how they were fleecing the suckers like Roger King and Larry Flynt. They were so proud of how much smarter they were as they hit them for a tens and hundreds of thousands a session. How could they not realize that they were fighting like dogs for the scraps these guys threw away for fun.

Who's the sucker?

I get awful look from girls when I say Iâ??m going to rent Only in Thailand when I move there, as I have seen many guy buy Bars and land for there honeys only for them to take it all away after 2 or 3 years. So if I rent I can not loose anything.

To whom it may concern!

I would appreciate if we would not talk about sponsors as they wouldn't get any at home! I know a couple of sponsors who are handsome and confident enough to score basically with every girl they want! Hell, I have sponsored a girl when I had a Body Mass Index of 17.5 and layed whoever I wanted to!

I think the reason of sponsoring and/or staying in touch is to keep a lively connection to the country you gonna miss a lot when you are home!

I have sponsored this girl, was about to return within 8 weeks, talked with her on Skype every day, actually enjoyed it a lot, she went home without me even asking for it, everything was fine except for the moment when I took my seat on the airplane. It wasn't her I wanted to see, I liked the whole Pattaya Package, the fun nights out the debauchery and the sexual availability of the girls!

It took me while to come to this conclusion but today I know that is the reason why I did it! It was anything but love!

I'm with CT, MooNoi and bust on this one - sponsorship is when you expect something in return, when you think you're buying exclusivity, or when you think it's part of some sort of love relationship. Sponsorship then to me looks like something for chumps, and goes generally to girls who know how to hustle for it, and from guys who don't know better.

What's more interesting - probably because it's what I do - is when we send $ for other reasons: because we believe someone actually needs our help in an emergency, because it seems like a good turn for someone who's done me good turns in the past, or just to re-link to the good times, sponsor a party or three, make a girl happy for a day because you like her smile. For a while, I've occasionally sent money on random occasions to a couple girls, usually just because I felt like giving one of my favourites a good time, and because it's pretty much painless to me.

Strangely - and it kind of makes me wonder whether bust and I have just been hit up by the same woman, or maybe there's a trend right now? - for the first time in a decade of time in and around Thailand, I've just sent money this week to a woman who claims she's desperately in trouble with the Sin City by the Sea BiBs, and needed to bribe her way out. It's the first time any of 'my' girls have really asked for help in a serious way, and I said yes. It's potentially a good scam - no paperwork, etc - but I guess I thought I wouldn't bother doubting and would just help out this time, whether for a bribe, or just to fill her pockets. The money is inconsequential to me, it's only the niggling question of whether I'm being scammed like a chump or actually helping a fun girl out of a serious problem.

So here I am, I've just sent a girl X dollars and don't know whether she's bullshitting or not, there's no way to prove it (unless I spend more money on an investigator, which is getting a little obsessive) and she's promised to pay me back when she sees me. Will she? No, probably not. Do I care? Not really. I don't have much interest in seeing her again - if I helped her out of a hard time, then I feel good about that and good for her. If she just scammed me, well, that's the way it goes - if she feels like paying me back, she can, and if she doesn't, fine. I'll be back in town for a bit at the beginning of June, and can at least have a look in her eyes, or see if she avoids me completely.

So, what am I? Chump, sponsor, easy mark, jai dee maak, desperate loser? Or maybe sending money to Pattaya BGs is - like a coke habit - just one of God's subtle ways of telling you that you have too much money? Curious for your opinions (and, of course, curious to know who else got hit up last weekend with a cop-related sob story from Pattaya...).

YimSiam

PS. Whatever happened to ThaiMoneyExpress, or whatever that service was called, where you could just bill your credit card and they'd deliver cash to the skankiest hovel off soi 3? Could've used it this week.

Archived