What Defines Sponsorship?

bust

I think what defines sponsorship depends on many different circumstances.

I met a really nice bar girl in Phuket a few years back. Decided to go long time with for my stay and thought about maybe a future relationship with her once i had returned back to Australia.

It was only 2 months after I had left Phuket that the big tsunami hit in 2004. I was in contact with her for the 2 months before the disaster but had never given her any money or even talked about it with her.

But after the 26th of December (tsunami) I decided to send her some money. I found out her bar was basically washed away and the amount of customers had dropped off dramatically. I sent her money for 2 months, about 10000 baht a month.

She never asked for it and I just did what any friend would do when someone is in trouble.

I went back to Phuket in the 3rd month after the tsunami to see her and help in anyway I could.

She has now moved back to Sakhon Nakhon with her family. We are still good friends and keep in touch but I dont send her any money. But would help her again if I thought it was the right thing to do.

JB

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[

My ex got hooked up with a fake australian passport from human traffickers on the plane from BKK to Singapore on her way to London, took away everything from her and at the passport control in Singapore she got caught, She got deported and faced a serious sentence here in Thailand. I called her and asked her to fax me all the papers from the police and immigrations. Everything checked out and I arranged a meeting with a lawyer who charged 30k upfront and 30k after! The maximum sentence could be 5 years, very likely is 1 year he said. I told him he gets 20k more if he can get it down to 1 month! Luck for him and her, she had to spend 1 month in jail after 7 hearing sessions!

That was hardly sponsoring what I did, this was the right thing to do because if she ends up in Jail it would have had serious consequences, her family would starve to death, he son couldn't afford health care and school and she has a serious health condition that could have killed her! If she had to go to Jail for a year I promised her I will take care of her family with 10k baht per month! Still no sponsoring because I dont want anything in return, i am just helping a person I respect who can't get out of a situation herself!

Sponsorship usually benefits both, this was not the case here!

after reading this, I shall, indeed patronize you bar. (but only if you have a few fire-control devices handy :) )

good man.

this was certainly NOT sponsoring, which to get back on topic, I think only a fool would do with a prostitute-bargirl.

cheers.

Archived