Plot Against Fort Dix

Evel_Penivel

6 charged in plot to attack Army post

Staff and agencies

08 May, 2007

By WAYNE PARRY, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

FORT DIX, N.J. - Six foreign-born Muslims were arrested and accused Tuesday of plotting to attack the Armyâ??s Fort Dix and massacre scores of U.S. soldiers â?? a plot investigators say was foiled when the men took a video of themselves firing assault weapons to a store to have the footage put onto a DVD.

Authorities said there was no direct evidence connecting them to any international terror organizations such as al-Qaida. But several of the men said they were ready to kill and die "in the name of Allah," according to court records.

They also allegedly spoke of attacking the Navy base in Philadelphia during the annual Army-Navy football game, when the place would be full of sailors, and conducted surveillance at other military installations in the region.

Investigators said they infiltrated the group with an informant well over a year ago and bided their time while they secretly recorded the defendants, five of whom lived in Cherry Hill, a Philadelphia suburb about 20 miles from Fort Dix.

The six were arrested Monday night trying to buy AK-47 assault weapons, M-16s and other weapons from an FBI informant, authorities said. They were scheduled to appear before a federal judge in Camden on Tuesday afternoon to face charges of conspiracy to kill U.S. servicemen.

One suspect spoke of using rocket-propelled grenades to kill at least 100 soldiers, according to court documents.

"It doesnâ??t matter to me whether I get locked up, arrested or get taken away," Serdar Tatar was quoted as saying. "Or I die, it doesnâ??t matter. Iâ??m doing it in the name of Allah."

In court documents, prosecutors said the suspects came to the attention of authorities in January 2006 when a shopkeeper alerted the FBI about a "disturbing" video he had been asked to copy onto a DVD.

By March 2006, the group had been infiltrated by an informant who developed a relationship with Shnewer, and the informant secretly recorded meetings last August, according to court documents.

"Clearly, one of the guys had an intimate knowledge of the base from having been there delivering pizzas," Christie said.

The men also allegedly conducted surveillance at other area military installations, including Fort Monmouth in New Jersey, Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, and a Philadelphia Coast Guard station.

Besides Shnewer, Tatar and Duka, the other three men were identified in court papers as Dritan Duka, Shain Duka and Agron Abdullahu.

Fort Dix is used to train soldiers, particularly reservists. It also housed refugees from Kosovo in 1999.

The description of the suspects as "Islamic militants" caused renewed worry among New Jerseyâ??s Muslim community. Hundreds of Muslim men from New Jersey were rounded up and detained in the months after the Sept. 11 attacks, but none were connected to that plot.

"If these people did something, then they deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law," said Sohail Mohammed, a lawyer who represented scores of detainees after the 2001 attacks. "But when the government says

Islamic militants,â?? it sends a message to the public that Islam and militancy are synonymous."

"Donâ??t equate actions with religion," he said.

___

Associated Press Writers Matt Apuzzo and Ben Feller in Washington, Geoff Mulvihill in Mount Laurel, Tom Hester Jr. in Trenton and Jeffrey Gold in Newark contributed to this story.

Guest lazyphil

<<"It doesnâ??t matter to me whether I get locked up, arrested or get taken away," Serdar Tatar was quoted as saying. "Or I die, it doesnâ??t matter. Iâ??m doing it in the name of Allah." >>

When bubba is rooting serder up his bumhole in the shower block it wont be in the name of anything.....except lust :smirk:

When bubba is rooting serder up his bumhole in the shower block it wont be in the name of anything.....except lust :smirk:

Yeah, jihadists aren't popular among the general population in U.S. prisons. Rumor has it that there are informal "bounties" for every con who caps one. Those guys will probably wish they'd been sent to Gitmo.

Evel

Not the sharpest tools in the shed, are they? Let's see, a terra-ist by definition wants to terra-ise to get their point across, so they pick a well armed military base instead of a soft target.

Sounds strange to me...

Cheers,

SD

A job well done!!!

How come all these terrorist cases involve FBI informants/recruiters, and absolutely no follow through on the "planned attacks". I guess they are all "aspirational".

I can't wait until they can prosecute people for "thought crime".

Not the sharpest tools in the shed, are they? Let's see, a terra-ist by definition wants to terra-ise to get their point across, so they pick a well armed military base instead of a soft target.

Sounds strange to me...

Cheers,

SD

That's because you've never been in the military. Except in a combat zone, weapons and ammunition are kept strictly under lock and key. If someone wants to kill a lot of military, a base is the perfect place to attack. Just as long as the loonies don't decide to attack the troops training or qualifying at the rifle range, they have sitting ducks for targets.

I remember reading how during the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, the military had to break the locks to get ammunition to shoot back at the Nipponese gents!

A job well done!!!

How come all these terrorist cases involve FBI informants/recruiters, and absolutely no follow through on the "planned attacks". I guess they are all "aspirational".

I can't wait until they can prosecute people for "thought crime".

Yeah, like that poor Timothy McVeigh. :(

I was an Army instructor during the Desert Shield/Desert Storm period. The security on the base was laughable. The colonel - full bird type -- insisted that all of the entrances to our building be kept locked except for one, guarded by a senior NCO. No one was admitted without their ID badge. (A female major forgot hers one day, and the staff sergeant at the door refused to let her in until she got a temporary badge. :) ) The colonel actually wanted the NCO to have an M-16A1 with him. But the sergeant major asked if the NCO would be issued ammunition. The colonel replied, "Of course, not!" Then the sergeant major asked, "So what is the sense of having him carry an empty weapon?" The colonel actually thought for a change and cancelled the weapon order.

The absolutely assinine thing was that at 1630 military time, the building was turned over for use as classrooms for the extension university course. Thus at 4.30 pm the building was thrown wide open and anyone could enter or leave at will.

:p

p.s. Mind you, this was the Ordnance Corps, not the real Army. But even so, you couldn't imagine an easier target.

Archived