BG’s traveling with farang in LOS

Hunnia

quote:

Originally posted by Hunnia:

. She always wants to hold my hand what I try to resist because it immediately identifies her as a Bar girl

It most certainly does NOT. Although they may assume that a foreigner is with a bar girl. Who really cares what they think. I have been with my university educated teacher g/f for 2 years and guess what we hold hands all the time. Every expat I know holds hands with their g/f or wife and most are not bar girls. I have never heard anyone mention about us in a negative context ever in Thai, and I understand at least the gist of most conversations.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some comments on this theme:

1. I see as many negative looks from prudish farangs as I do from Thai.

2. Matters little how they dress. Assumptions will always be made. The dress is solely for your (her?) public comfort.

3. As has been observed several times on this forum, after a few months a B/G is pretty hardened to her lifestyle.

4. Holding hands is great. Why not?

5. To hell with everybody else. Do what makes you happy. Life's too short.....

Phoenix,

Thank you for your input. My b/g – when she was with me – never wore any make-up, no tattoos either. Even in the bar I never saw any make-up on her. However, she always wore tight jeans and quite revealing tops despite my insistence to buy a skirt and a more decent shirt for her. She looked very nice in the tight jean I have to admit. Can you tell me how long is the beautician training school and what is the tuition fee what you are sponsoring for Nok.

Nasty_1,

Last time I did exactly the same as Lazaro. I paid her approximately 2000 baht per day. I gave the money to her as a lump sum. Sometimes I give it to her before we start our week together, but most of the time at the end. I also buy some clothes for her and of course pay for all the expenses.

Whosyourdaddy,

I do not see anything wrong with holding hands if the b/g is not much younger than the farang. However, in my case (late forties) the age difference is too big that is why I do not feel comfortable holding hands. I try to avoid it as much as I can. She always tries to grab my hand and if I pull away she thinks that I am angry with her.

Follies,

I do not worry about what others think about me (farang or Thai). However, I worry a little about the b/g because I do not want her to feel uncomfortable. Bangkok is her home; she has to live there. I agree with you that holding hand is great and I really like it. Maybe I should not worry too much about how she feels in public since as you also said she is already hardened to her profession and may not worry about it at all.

Hunnia

You can take a girl out of a bar, but you can't take bar out of a girl. The dress sense (platforms, skimpy clothes, make-up etc)is obvious even to us farangs - we can spot them walking down the street.

What we don't pick up on and Thais do is the behavioural aspects. Particularly language. It might all sound the same to us, but coarse Isaan slang won't wash with the middle-class Thais. As someone wisely once said on this board, ultra-proper, clipped Queen's English and gangsta rap are both technically english, but think about the judgements you bring upon people who speak at those extremes.

BGs also lack 'khwaam thai' - the nature of being Thai. They lack some of the modesty, deference, humility and calmness most associated with the true way.

BUT I LOVE EM!!!

I was with a girl in Bangkok in early September and when I wanted to tour around Bangkok I had to buy her a pair of shoes with out big heels (she lives in Pattaya and had only brought one pair of shoes with her). Hopefully she did not look too much like a bargirl.

At the airport though it was a different story. She wore a little white top, tight white trousers and high heels. Upon taking her for the bus from the airport to Pattaya I had to go past the people waiting in the arrivals area. Although we were not holding hands this was definitely a big-time walk of shame!!!

Amazing Thailand!

Fatbastard33

regarding the term "walk of shame"

I have always felt it as a walk of pride, expecally when its past some poor older ( or younger guy) there with his wife,

she is giving the "daggers from the eyes" look, while checking to see if her husband is checking out the cuite.

whilst he is giving the "you lucky bastard" look.

quote:

Originally posted by Hunnia:

Whenever I go to LOS I have a one-week BG girlfriend (not always the same). I like to go to the countryside, to Chiang Mai or to Phuket with my temporary GF. She always wants to hold my hand what I try to resist because it immediately identifies her as a BG. She dresses like a typical working girl (tight jeans, etc) so there is no doubt that everybody knows her profession. I always try to buy some decent clothes for her for the trips trying to hide the obvious fact. However, after the shopping spree she still looks like a BG if she selects the clothes. Does not she know that her dressing, behavior (hand holding) identifies her in the hotel, restaurant, and street as a bargirl? Does not it bother her at all?

Thank you for your input.

Hunnia

Besides the fact that most girls seen with a farang are looked upon as B/G material, no matter as they dress, i think you got to hand it to her not to try look like what she is not. Let her be comfortable as she wishes, and enjoy her company. My experience is that thais who frown upon this are the ones who'd ignore me anyway, if i was alone, and that's fine with me. For the others (thais), 'seems a non--judgemental quality prevails.

quote:

Originally posted by seeker:

You can take a girl out of a bar, but you can't take bar out of a girl. ...

What we don't pick up on and Thais do is the behavioural aspects. Particularly language. It might all sound the same to us, but coarse Isaan slang won't wash with the middle-class Thais.

You are making an incorrect connection here. Although a high percentage of bargirls are Isaan women, only a small percentage of Isaan women are bargirls. Speaking Isaan does not mark a woman as a bargirl.

quote:

... BGs also lack 'khwaam thai' - the nature of being Thai. They lack some of the modesty, deference, humility and calmness most associated with the true way.

Another incorrect generalization. Some bargirls may lack khwaam thai. Many do not. Indeed, I would say that most do not. It's just that the ones who do lack khwaam thai are the ones who attract the farangs attention most strongly.

Regards, JEff

Archived