1:20 a.m. at Nana on a Friday Night

Gadfly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one consistent element seems to be a negative 'things are going down the drain' kind of sentiment, but in half the posts this is because "girls are charging more and beer gets more expensive" and in the other half it's because "Thailand is getting poorer, can't compete with China, etc."

Some people even argue both in the same post.

Well let me tell you, you can't have both negatives; Either Thailand is deflating like a balloon with reduced competitiveness and confidence since the coup in which case at some point all hell will break loose and girls will be begging to sleep with you for a shower and a bowl of Mama noodle, OR Thailand will continue to develop and as it develops education improves, birth rate goes down, fewer girls become prostitutes, but the ones that do would rightly command 5000 baht a pop.

Now, depending on how much you care about Thailand versus how much you care about yourself and your lifestyle you can choose to prefer one or the other, but the bottom line is that you can't have both things happen at the same time.

Your logic is correct, but perhaps the facts are a bit more complicated. In other words, the Thai economy is slowing down and it is affecting people in their everyday lives, but the slow down is not so extreme that "girls [are] begging to sleep with you for a shower and a bowl of Mama noodle."

Something not so extreme seems a bit more reasonable. Indeed, the "shower and bowl of mama noodles" scenario is so extreme as to be entirely unreasonable - even during the darkest days following the 1998 meltdown it never even got close to that, and we are not even close to that.

I do think your average and less fortunate Thai is starting to feel the pinch. My allusions to India and Burma were subjective and intended to make emphasize (perhaps too dramtically?) a point. But even though the economy is starting to sputter (not much doubt about this), we are still far from the shower and mama noodle stage.

Even if the economy continues to slow (likely in the near term), I don't think it will have affect prices in Soi Cowboy much. IMHO, the customers that move from NEP to Soi Cowboy because of the current restrictions imposed on NEP will more than make up for any increase in supply.

CT, forgive me if i've missed anything as i'm a bit short of time and have only skipped through the posts in this thread quickly. Cent as usual put forward some interesting points in his post. One i particularly picked up on was the customer care aspect provided by the girls. I'm sure many punters are the same as myself in that if i enter a bar and its full of decent looking girls making some effort to dance and the beer is cold and it and the lady drinks are sensibly priced and when a girl sits down next to you she is polite and waits to be asked if she wants a drink, then i'm likely to stay a while, buy quite a few drinks and return the next day or next time i'm out. But if i sit down and get a warm over priced beer thrown in front of me and a girl asks for a drink the second her bum hit the seat and gives me a dirty look and disrespectful comments when i say no, then i'm likely to check bin and it will be along time before i bother giving that bar another try. Another point you raised was the "barfine curfew". This is something i never used to come across when i barfined in Bangkok but used to drive me mad when i came across it in Pattaya. The barfine is supposed too compensate the owner for the loss of the girl before closing time, so as far as i'm concerned that means getting her kit on the moment the money leaves the guys pocket? Not at some late stage of the evening at the owners whim, thats called "having your cake and eating it"! There are plenty of places to drink, but most blokes who choose to drink in a gogo want to look at semi naked girls whilst they do so with a view to possibly barfining one and if they pay bar they want to go straight away whether its back to the room or take the girl around town 1st as a companion. I think the you are fixated with this showgirl concept? but you need to remember that the majority of gogo girls are not show girls. I think you would need a two tier system where the majority of the girls could be barfined in the normal way and go straight away and the show girls could not be barfined at all and customers would have to make their own arrangements after the bar closes. However i'm sure most owners would'nt go for this either as again they want their cake and eat it as well. They want the show girls to stay as long as possible, preferably untill almost closing time but they still want their extortionate show girl barfine?!

Simie.

I recognized the old alcoholic on SDs pic, it seems logical, in Sweden a twenty note is a Selma after the famous swedish writer. :smirk:

Slightly off topic, however in the UK

£10 = Tenner / Ayrton (senna)

£20 = Score

No reference to whats on the names.

Simie,

to make this short because it was long enough yesterday :) There is a tiering system, Cent and I were fantasizing about the Top 8 in the bar. Everyone else can leave if bar fined immediately. Interesting side not maybe, the top 4 girls get the least requests for bar fine! Bar fine is not meant to be to compensate the loss of drinks for the night for the bar, it compensates the salary, the loss of drinks for the bar won't be compensated. She gets 50% of the bar fine to comepensate the loss of lady drinks and her tips like Ping Pong balls etc...

CT, yes i knew the barfine is supposed to compensate for loss of salary not the drinks lost. Rather my fault for not explaining myself properly? :sad: As for the loss of drinks that is of course rather harder too quantify IMHO. If the bar is highly reliant on a few show girls then the loss could indeed be quite large, however i think if the overeall quality of girls in the bar is good then the loss should be relatively minimal? I'm not actualy that surprised that you say the top 4 show girls get the least requests for barfine. I think many punters are intimidated by those sort of girls, they are either afaraid she might knock them back or that she will be as hard as nails and give them a lousy time, thus shattering the illusion or that she will come up with outrageous financial demands? I know you cannot generalise and not all show girls fit that profile, but that is the perception that many punters have.

Simie..

Cent, as you say those days where nicer. And its the change of attitude rather than just the increased financial demands that are spoiling things. I know everything goes up with inflation eventually but its the other aspects that are the problem. E.g. as you mentioned previously the lack of respect and service by the girls in the bar which has been replaced in many cases by demands for lady drinks and tips and its also getting harder and harder for blokes to get a decent long time. Many girls now think they should get long time money for pissing off at 4 am after one shag, claiming they've got to go and feed their sisters cat?! or some other such nonsense.

Simie.

Archived