1:20 a.m. at Nana on a Friday Night

Gadfly

The closing times have changed but the rhythm of the people is still the same. The most drinks will be sold when the customers getting in the mood (drunk) then they start to get careless and start throwing lady drinks and buy tequila shots etc...

Now the bars are closing at the times where the people just start to get into the mood and that causes a dramatic loss of income!

This is true from this customer's point of view. I do drink more and spend more as the night goes on.

I don't know how it is from a bar owner's perspective, but I spent the first part of Friday on Soi Cowboy, and Soi Cowboy - at least compared to NEP - was packed. (I probably should have started in NEP and ended in Soi Cowboy - oh well, there was a reason I started in NEP, and she works in Rainbow 4.) I suspect Soi Cowboy will not only weather this storm better than NEP, but also benefit at its expense.

I am also wondering how long this storm will (can) last.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am also wondering how long this storm will (can) last.

Probably forever in BKK.

Regarding NEP I repeat my more than 5 year old rumour (check my old posts if you want) that Chuwit will build a shopping centre as soon as the top contracts are out, probably combined with a hotel and/or condos.

..Believe me when I tell you that this hour they stole from him was enough to pay the rent and ALL the salaries!

I wish people would just start earlier. I'm all for it (in fact, I get impatient waiting for opening times and frustrated that, if I go before 8.30, hardly any girls will have shown up.

I realise I'm a bit odd but can't people adjust their times and show up earlier? :dunno:

Why stick to the old traditional times? We're whoremongers, ffs, not traditional people! :cool:

Number two suggestion: why don't these bar owners just sell stronger beer that make customers drunk more quickly? :dunno:

Or have better early deals on spirits that are easy to gulp down quicker? And get the girls to sell them with better commission at earlier times?

In fact, don't make it commission. They're Thais. Make it a big f*cking competition with the girl who wins each night getting something stupid.

Have bar-owners got no imagination? (I am available as a consultant. :hubba: )

.. what will happen is that street girls ask for 3000 and more ST and the girls in the bar will say "if a freelancer charges 3000 I will charge 4000!"

I really can't see that happening too quickly!

Surely, if they're all in one place, rather than spread out in little gogos, guys will find it easier and quicker to shop around and therefore the girls will get worse pricing power. Furthermore, they'll lose the advantage of the guy being horny having seen them nude or near-nude. (That counts a lot for a guys's willingness to lose his brain and pay the extra!) Lastly, more guys will be diverted to Pattaya by the rundown of gogos so the girl to guy ratio would go up.

If more people would be like you the whole thing would adjust, I know many guys who can't wait to go out and start drinking at 5pm. At midnight they are dead tired which is silly because the hot girls start working at 10pm. However if bar owners tell their hot girls to come 2 hours earlier they will be barfined by 10pm and what would be the point to go to the bar when the hot girls are gone? You can block the barfine until midnight but that would piss off the impatient guys like you who can't wait for the bars to open!

All I know is that these toy soldiers playing government on their countries expense found a country where the p4p business was happening in certain districts behind closed doors, they want to clean up the city and now the whores are polluting the streets. That's what happens when you put the maid in charge!

I do think that the increased nightly street activity in the lower Sukhumvit area that you have observed has to do with early bar closing but it would be difficult to directly relate it to "Thailand is getting poorer". Closing gogo bars early is a political choice, and as such not necessarily a bad one (except commercially of course but political choice should have the prerogative over economics - an often forgotten principle in the era of globalization), considering the sensitivity of the Thai middle class and many others, but of course it should be followed up by a cleaning up of all those street activities. How fed up am I not with the whole lower Sukhumvit area! If at least those ugly farang Romeos could refrain from walking hand in hand with their temporary partners. And why do they have to drag them to the dining table?

Tell the girls to come earlier, let me barfine them and I'll have them back quickly. She's ready for the show/next guy. And I'm on to the next bar. Everybody's happy.

I'm not one of those guys who mess around trying to make a romance out of it, talking about shite and wasting time just because they feel they should. :shakehead

Put a time-limit on the barfine for the time-wasters.

As to the "Thailand is getting poorer" statement I don't find it accurate in the absolute sense. If the real economy grows by 3 per cent the country is - in my logic - getting 3 per cent richer, albeit at a slower rate, and not poorer. In a relative sense of course you could say that the country is getting poorer compared to a growth rate of 6 or 7 percent and I guess that is what is meant here. Depending on productivity developments, changes in capital/labour ratios, increased intersectorial imbalances, even wider (and even more unfair) income and wealth distribution etc many Thais can get poorer even if the country on the whole gets moderately richer, analogue to the effects of globalization in some countries. And this is of course exactly the segment of the population which ends up in the street...

The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer because this is what the rich people want!

The economy has no effect whatsoever on the people living on the villages because they are entirely decentralized from BKK and produce their own food and sell to each other or even exchange it with each other! Gadfly sounds like a 100% proper and reasonable guy, I think he meant it more in a symbolic way as talking about the country as such!

However, look what Thailand depends on and look what they are trying to destroy and you slap yourself in to your own face to make sure it isn't just a bad dream! There is a reporter friend of mine, a free lancer for the BKK posts he made a research about all members of the current "government"... It was never allowed to be released (yet) he told me that i have banged Thai hookers with more education as a handful of them!

KS PLEASE DELETE OR EDIT IF YOU THINK IT IS BETTER FOR THE BOARD

"The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer because this is what the rich people want!"

In a sense I tend to agree with you on this one. It's a consequence of the quasi feudal patron-client culture which the Thai elite seeks to exploit as much as possible. This explains the poor educational standards in Thailand and the aversion in much - but not all! - of the elite towards foreign influence which threaten to emancipate the Thai working class and thus erode the client-patron relationship.

Archived