LCD TV

PP

I've been thinking of getting one of those LCD tellies but have read a bit on the 'net and it seems they're only worthwhile if you can receive HD broadcast, which is not available in LOS.

Anyone got one that can tell me what they think of them?

Or can anyone give me some techie advice about them. All I know is they look good in the shop?

Thanks

I've got one in storage back in the states. With a true HD broadcast, such as a football or basketball game, or a special HD broadcast,the picture looks pretty good. My old cable channel had about 10 HD channels. It would also work with a progressive scan DVD player, and would work as a giant computer monitor.

I suppose the latest best sets are the true 1080i resolution sets. From what I hear, if you hook one up to one of the new HD DVD players to a 1080i monitor(with a HD DVD disc) you get a pretty good picture. Sounds to me like my next toy. I haven't really done my research yet, though. I think there's still a format war going on in the HD arena between Sony and Toshiba. Maybe they now have players that play both kinds of discs, but I'm not sure.

Rex

Hi,

I bought a Sony Bravia 40" a few months ago. Quite happy with it, but for normal TV viewing it is probably not worth it.

I actually find that UBC looks worse on LCD than on a regular TV.

Watching DVDs is a different story though. With good quality DVDs the image can be quite good.

I would also expect that TV shows (in HD) downloaded from the Net would be quite good, but have not yet tried that.

Sanuk!

Also, try "24", as season 6 just ended and all the episodes are available on the 'net somewhere.

I have a Sony Bravia, 46" (mine is bigger then your's, KS :grin) and it is excellent!

I am operating it off an antenna here in the USA and channels that previously came in poor with the old CRT (picture tube) TV now come in much better.

They do broadcast some channels in HD, so that is a plus.

The speakers are not the best, so add a surround sounds system and you have a most excellent system! IMO.

Hi,

Colleagues have been watching Lost and from what I hear it gets totally fucked up after season 1.

24 is something I intend to watch.

Just finished Rome and will probably finish Heroes this weekend (another 9 episodes to watch :) ). Can wholeheartedly recommend both.

Sanuk!

....Watching DVDs is a different story though. With good quality DVDs the image can be quite good....

Can be? It should always be excellent!

For the best pictures nowadays you need an HDMI equipped TV and DVD player. Your Bravia definitely will be but depending on the age of your DVD player it may not.

Archived