Crazy Logic At Fuji

MooNoi

I like Fuji and I probably eat there once or twice a week.

I went there for lunch today and ordered on of their standard sets.

At the end of the meal, the waitress asked me if I wanted fruit and coffee. I asked if they were part of the set and she said "yes".

So she brought me the fruit and the coffee which I ate and drank.

They then brought me the bill and the fruit and coffee was listed as extras and a charge for both.

I queried this with the waitress who brought the check-bin (a different waitress to before) who told me that the fruit and coffee wasn't part of the set. I told her the other waitress offered it to me as part of the set and I was told she made a mistake and it definitely wasn't part of the set.

I asked for the manager (keeping calm and jai yen I might add and avoiding the "ugly farang" syndrome) and told her what happened.

She repeated what the 2nd waitress said and told me I would have to pay as I'd consumed the items. :mad:

I (politely) told her that I was informed the fruit and coffee was part of the set and that I shouldn't have to pay if *THEY* had made a mistake.

The other waitress who made the error was walking past so I got the manager to speak to her and she confirmed that she had made an error and she didn't know it wasn't included in the set meal.

I then explained again that I shouldn't have to pay as it wasn't my error.

The manager then told me I didn't have to pay, but if I didn't it would come out of the waitress' salary as she gave me the wrong information.

The waitress-in-error shook her head and stormed off.

What could I do? Be a heartless prick and have her salary cut?

So of course I paid it. I know it was only 90 baht or something, but this sort of thing drives me CRAZY in Thailand! :mad:

No one in restaurants or bars is prepared to take responsibility when they make an error and you always end up paying anyway. And they don't give a shit if you come back or not.

Why is the customer always wrong in LOS???

Fuji is a huge multi-national business... surely it wouldn't hurt THE COMPANY if they lost 90 baht???

Grrrr...

:banghead:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....The manager then told me I didn't have to pay, but if I didn't it would come out of the waitress' salary as she gave me the wrong information.....

This is typical. Instead of just saying that you don't have to pay for it they always drop in that the waitress or whoever will have to pay for it out of their salary. They probably know that most farang will pay. Of course this wouldn't work with Thais who would just say "so what". :shakehead

So if the bartender asks if you want one beer more you assume the bar is paying? :D

Not really sure I get your point, but if what I think is right, did you read this part??

At the end of the meal, the waitress asked me if I wanted fruit and coffee. I asked if they were part of the set and she said "yes".

Why is the customer always wrong in LOS???

It is not that the customer was wrong - the waitress was wrong. Problem is if the company absorbs the loss the waitresses continue to make mistakes. Ping 'em where it hurts and they might, just might, use their brains instead of wandering around in la la land.

Agree with the manager 100%.

Hi,

If the manager wanted to punish the waitress for the mistake, he shouldn't have mentioned that she would get deducted as he full well knew that MooNoi would not agree with that.

While I can understand the concept of having staff pay for the mistakes they make, it is often not realistic in Thailand. That 90 Baht was probably several hours pay for her.

Sanuk!

Archived