Crazy Logic At Fuji

MooNoi

While I can understand the concept of having staff pay for the mistakes they make, it is often not realistic in Thailand. That 90 Baht was probably several hours pay for her.

And that's obviously the reason I did pay it in the end.

Wonder if it was Thai customers would:

a) Fuji put it on the bill in the first place even though realising their error?

B) Fuji tell the Thai customers the waitress would have to pay for it

c) The customers not give a shit if the girl lost the money from her salary

d) Take it off the bill if the Thai customers made a stink out of it

:dunno:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If one is to take the viewpoint of a Thai employer....then I agree with kwai_hai....

...Service quality in LOS is "different"....that fucking "Blank stare" is as priceless as it is maddening!!!!!!

...but the reality is, that it would be easier to train poodles to perform Brain Surgery...jing jng...

I fully support "piggy" here....why should he be "emotionally blackmailed" into paying....for their "fuck up"...

....Me...I'm an out and out "prick" when it comes to this sorta shit....I'd end up paying...one way or the other....BUT...

I would really make a scene....embarass the shit out of all of them.... and demand it was taken off my bill.....done it before....55555

...Then before I left I'd slip the original waitress a "Red" one...just to make sure she wasn't out of pockt... and I could sleep easy....

It's a pointless exercise though....they just could not grasp the concept....

...farang ba bar ba bor....not pay...then pay...pee ba !!!!

Think I'll stick to teaching kangaroo's to tap dance....lol...

26 days and counting..... :grinyes::grinyes::grinyes:

Hi,

If the manager wanted to punish the waitress for the mistake, he shouldn't have mentioned that she would get deducted as he full well knew that MooNoi would not agree with that.

While I can understand the concept of having staff pay for the mistakes they make, it is often not realistic in Thailand. That 90 Baht was probably several hours pay for her.

Sanuk!

Definitely would have let her hang for the 90 baht. Maybe next time she'll engage her brain instead of muttering the first thing that enters her lobotomy brain.

The manager's a scumbag, too, to tell the customer.

It is funny ..... back home in our own countries letting the staff take a cut out of their salaries would be a big no no! But here I find people actually finding it justified that things get taken out of the staffs measly salaries.

You see it is the mistake of the company imho. The staff usually gets hit up for many things (I know quite a few who work at places like Fuji's and the like). And the staff usually gets no training but gets thrown in the deep.

If the place decides to have everybody wear new clothing ... do you think the company pays? NO! The staff have to buy their workclothing of the company at hugely inflated prices. My ex girlfriend used to work in a place that changed their clothing twice a month! Everytime the staff had to buy it for 800 baht from the place. That is 1600 baht a month on a 4000 baht salary! If a plate gets broken who pays, the customer who broke the plate? No the staff gets docked and not at the actual price of the plate but for a lot more. All of this kind of shit keeps most staff virtual slaves of the company they work for. And do they get training from the company ... no ... someone gets dumped at work and is expected to learn from the others.

Back in Europe or North America companies couldn't get away with this. And if your company was treating you like this how long before you protested it? And hear people actually defend this system? Come on guys.

In my comedygroup my boss does the same btw although we do not have to buy from him. He has a brainwave to let us wear other clothing. Everyone has to buy it and then we wear it for one night in a show that we get paid 150 baht and the clothing costs 300-400 baht and then we never wear it again. I nowadays flatout refuse to buy any new clothing for performances if I do not see that it will actually be worn or be of benefit to me. Offcourse the others blindly follow orders.

Waerth

Good post, Waerth, but this part:

back home in our own countries letting the staff take a cut out of their salaries would be a big no no!

Not a no no where I come from! If this happened in Australia and I asked for it to be deducted from the bill, it would be about $5 from their salary. When the waiting staff would be earning about $12-$14 per hour as they do in Australia, I have no problem with it coming out of their salary at all.

Here, 90 baht is far greater proportion of her daily salary.

Making employees pay for their mistakes here in California is against the law, but of course that doesn't mean that it isn't done... especially in Thai restaurants, which get away with all sorts of illegal shit. Mimimum wage? No way. Overtime? What's that? Common pay in Thai restaurants in Sonoma county is anywhere from zero to $20 per shift, any mistakes (server or customer) are deducted from that. The owners usually require tipping out the kitchen staff (often Lao or Mexican) as well to keep down their labor costs. One is notorious for making the wait staff clean the restrooms and vaccuum the floors before they can leave for the night. :mad:

I think it is a very difficult situation as the staff in such places are paid miserably and all it takes is for them to make one small mistake and BANG, their wages for the entire day are wiped out. I personally really dislike the way that Thai companies not only make sure that the "loss" comes out of the employee's pocket, but they do it at the retail price, not at cost.

I can't imagine being at the bottom of the ladder in Thailand in terms of employment. It is truly hell.

Same logic everywhere in LOS.

Asked moo someting one day (no pun intented) and the food smelled badly (where serving rotting moo I guess) I had the plate returned to the kitchen and ordered someting less smelly.

Sure the bill included the rotten moo and I gave up discussing the issue never to come back. Ate there once a week for 3 years...

Archived