Data Error (DivX) on home theater

Palatkik

This prompted a post from me having just read this weeks help column in Post database, where a guy mentions he cannot play all his torrent downloads on his Sony home theater. The article suggests it is simply a file name convention problem but in my case it is something else.

I have got a newish Sony home theater system and a cheap Pioneer DVD player in the back room. Whenever I download an avi torrent file it either plays or doesn't on the Sony but the Pioneer almost always works. I get the error message Data Error (DivX) on home theater when I try to play on the Sony which has a DivX logo on it so should play DivX files? All torrents are avi format but what else should I look for to see if is compatible with my Sony?

Hi,

I also download the occasional movie via torrent and emule. The avi-format is more like a container that has a video stream and one or more audio streams. Never had more than two audio streams, but if I remember right it can be up to 6.

The video stream of the downloaded flicks is sometimes encoded using DivX, but mostly it's the free xvid codec. Which is no problem because these files should play on all players that play DivX.

You may check the files yourself on the computer, using GSpot

It will tell you the details about the codecs used to compress the video and audio.

The people who encode and seed the files usually don't use any fancy options (like QPEL) that would cause problems with DVD-players.

Once in a while I burn some videos on DVD-Rs, usually several '.avi' fitting on one DVD-R. To be on the sure side I always clean up the filenames. Removing unnecessary rubbish like 'DVDRip by aldi shared via www_torrent_com' and I make sure the only dot in the filename is the one in '.avi'. Though this is to make reading the file list easier, don't think it improves compatibility with the DVD-player.

The DVDs I burn are played on various cheap brand or no-name players. About 95% of the files play alright.

I never had problems like you have with your Sony. Maybe it doesn't like xvid? You might google for your model and 'xvid', maybe you're not the only one.

Disclaimer: I only download documentaries or shows that were aired on free TV. Of course.

Unless your player is faulty, I'd guess it is the encoding issue.

There are various parameters when encoding with DivX and XviD and some of them cause the output to be incompatible with hardware decoders or older version of the software codec.

One way way to find out is to get another AVI (or encode one yourself), something popular like an episode of 24, and see if your player can handle it. If not, good chance the problem is with the player rather than the file.

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem, also with a Sony surround sound DVD player. DivX files work fine, but .avi files will not play on it.

Have not tried simply renaming the extension to .divx, but do kinda doubt it would make a difference.

Sanuk!

Well,

I googled a bit and found that some Sony players will play DivX but not xvid.

However it was mentioned that when using Fourcc code changer and change the info in the file about the codec used, then it would work on the Sony player.

That is not changing the file extension, but the codec info embedded into the file.

If you installed K-Lite codec pack then Fourcc code changer might be installed on your system (if I remeber right it is unchecked and I had to check it during setup).

Otherwise download Fourcc

Start the program, load an avi-file that didn't play on the Sony, change both fields to 'DIVX' and click 'apply'. Burn it on CD or DVD and try it in the Sony.

Thanks guys and especially to carlton who seems to have realized my problem. Gspot says the avi files that don't play on the Sony are all xvid and the ones that do are DX50 (presumably Divx) codec? Also Google finds several links saying the Sony (model dav dz770w in my case) doesn't playback xvid.

I tried the fourcc program that let me switch the xvid label to DIV4 and DIV3 (there wasn't an option that said DIVX on the fourcc - but I assume this is the same) on my avi file. I then burnt that avi to disc and it didn't give an error on the Sony anymore but the picture was scrambled and the sound jerky. On the PC the sound was ok but pic was scrambled similar to the Sony.

Anyway I'll play with this a little longer and see if I can fix it - at least I now know the cause thanks to carlton.

Sorry,

I checked about the Fourcc changer. I use the one included in K-Lite package. This one is called Nic's Mini AviC FourCC Changer and not the same as the one I linked above.

If you don't want to install K-Lite codec pack drop me an email and i'll send you Nic's Mini AviC FourCC Changer. It's only 6KB.

Sorry,

I checked about the Fourcc changer. I use the one included in K-Lite package. This one is called Nic's Mini AviC FourCC Changer and not the same as the one I linked above.

If you don't want to install K-Lite codec pack drop me an email and i'll send you Nic's Mini AviC FourCC Changer. It's only 6KB.

Excellent carlton! Nic's Mini AviC FourCC Changer allows torrent avi's to play on the Sony:-) by changing xvid to divx.

You are correct, the original fourcc you mentioned didn't work but the this one does. I already have the K-Lite pack from an earlier thread where you recommended it so I pulled it out of there.

(there wasn't an option that said DIVX on the fourcc)

Just to correct this, it appears that the original fourcc program mentioned first on this thread actually allows any input and the pull down options (that don't include DIVX) can be over typed with anything. So presumably this works as well as Nic's Mini AviC FourCC Changer.

Archived