Where should I start looking? Long term apartments in Bangkok.

stanny

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I pay 4500 month in Huai Kwang

http://en.9apartment.com

Clean, 5 mins motorcycle to subway, good security and som tam stall's outside that dont give you the shits for a week

Wow thanks for that link. I'm currently in the process of getting organised to relocate from the UK to Bangkok. The one thing I really need is reliable internet connection. Is it really possible to get a decent apartment with broadband internet for under 5000 baht? Seems too good to be true.

What does ++ mean for a net connection?

In the long term I'd like to sort out my own ISP but I notice that a lot of those apartments have wireless which would be good while I'm settling in (reliable internet is very important to me for business reasons). How exactly does that work? If say it's advertised as a 1 meg line does that mean 1 meg shared between all the residents or 1 meg assigned to each apartment? I mean if it was a 1 meg CsLox connection with a wireless router giving access to dozens of residents then the connection would be pretty shitty. I don't know what the standard set up is in Bangkok apartments.

They can't really be promoting 1 meg wireless shared by 40 residents as high speed are they? That would be dial-up speed for each resident.

I know a lot of Internet connection in Bangkok is crap but there must be good alternatives around. I pay £25 for a 6 meg connection here in the UK so I'm sure I could get a reasonable connection for 1500-2000 baht. I'm not too worried about speed just reliability.

Its usually shared per floor, what you can or cant get in a private UK residence have precisely nothing at all to do with what you can or cant get in an apartment block in Bangkok.

My connection here is shared (no idea of the speed) and has never gone in 4 months.

What I meant was I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a decent connection. If your connection has never gone in 4 months then you're doing better than me. Thanks for the info - it sounds like a wireless connection could be a great option to get up and running in Bangkok, as long as I'm not sharing a floor with gamers and file sharers.

There are a lot of very good rooms in the B5000/month range but there are hidden costs to keep in mind.

My first room was only B2500/month but it was 4km from the nearest Skytrain and way down a back soi that wasn't an inviting walk late at night. B6000+ a month (B200+/day) in taxi fares made the room not such a good deal.

Consider the location and its proximity to transportation carefully.

Many apartments mark-up the electricity, sometimes way, way up. Normal is B4 to B6 a unit but some put it up to B10 or more.

During the hotter months, a/c for a 40 s/m room can run about B2500 (at B5/unit) if run all night and half the day.

Most studios don't have kitchens so you'll be eating out most of the time unless you can survive on a steady diet of microwave burritos.

Try to strike-up a conversation with a resident of any building you're considering: "Do the elevators work consistently?", "Is security effective?" "Does the power go out regularly?" are some questions to ask.

If you find an area you like, bring a Thai along who can read FOR RENT signs posted nearby. Often you can rent a condo unit directly from an owner. such units are often in better condition and have more amenities. Also, condo units usually get their electricity directly from the power company so there is no mark up; about B3 per unit.

Make sure they do not try to pass their condo fee along to you as part of the water bill; a frequent ploy.

Archived