When and why did all this idea of "sponsorship" start ?

torrenova

A few other threads brought me to ask this question. Just what were the reasons behind this idea of sponsorship ?

If we mark the beginning of western P4P at some time during the Vietnam War then communications were difficult, money transfers were probably unavailable and even when they were, they were probably expensive and potentially risky. So no sponsorship there then.

I have argued that mobile phones (at cheap prices) and the internet have irrevocably changed the whole dynamics of bar, barfine and P4P payment. Before the girl needed the place of work for the past customer to visit her and now that is not so necessary.

So back to sponsorship. It seems to me that it is increasing and some guys almost see it as necessary to pay their hooker to be available next time - WTF ? So why did it start and when.

I find this interesting as I would not think about doing it. I have helped a few girls over the years but I just don't get why you would have to pay someone when you're not there who would happily come and perform their services for a fee whenever you return.

For the few who do return to the village, why do guys send way OTT money. The same guys can rationally work out that they need a maximum of about 10k for a very easy lifestyle but they give far more which just gets absorbed, creating future demand.

Comments and theories most welcome.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it probably started a long long time ago with some middle aged over weight Farang (like me)who fell for a BG and could not stand the idea of another man fucking her. So in order to keep her for himself (he thinks) he starts sending her money so she can have a (better life). The rest is history!!!!

It's not a new idea, it was up and running back in 83 when I first came to Pattaya. A cute young thing I was seeing, dumped me like a leaper when this crusty old german arrived in town, she actually described him as her sponsor rather than boyfriend. Funnily enough, she never hit on me to become another sponsor, I think she knew I wouldn't, and she was right. I'd got more sense than money back then, maybe there's some truth in the saying 'there's no fool like an old fool' :smirk:

I think Western Union has been around before and since the VN war. American GIs could send the money back easily, even if it took a while. Correct me if I'm wrong, Flashermac.

The original reasons for sponsorship are obvious, a desire to return to the new found love, keeping her well fed and still precious along the way.

I'm not being cynical.

I know an old VN vet here who was lucky enough to be stationed in Udon during the war. He had a picture of his maid in his wallet. She is the most beautiful Thai girl I have ever seen. I don't know if he sponsored her when he returned home, but not going back for her is the greatest regret of his life. I'm sure he felt he was a tough guy, but he'd cry when he pulled out her photo.

Unfortunately, someone recently stole his wallet. :(

Sorry, off topic, doesn't answer any questions, keep going...

My buddy John married a BG back in 2002. Back before he sent her something like $200 a month. He told me he had her on a strict ammount and never wavered from it. I also know he had a friend of ours who lives in BKK check in on her from time to time. You all likely know him, one of the long term expats living there since the dawn of time.

Anyway, once they got married he continued sending that ammount to her family up in Bouie Rum (sp?). Over time she began to bitch a little that there were other farnag that sent more to the parents than he did. He then got creative. He would give her a monthly ammount that was "her money"; about $400. He then upped it to $600 and told her she could send as much or all of it home to mom and dad as she wished. When I last asked him he told me she would send them about $50 to $150 of it home to mommy!

I thought this was genious!

I'm sure he felt he was a tough guy, but he'd cry when he pulled out her photo.

Unfortunately, someone recently stole his wallet. :(

You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh :D:D

12 years ago when I first arrived in Thailand snail mail seemed to still be the usual method of communication. I "translated" a fair few letters from Mr Farang into simple English and tried to explain what he was trying to say.

I also wrote a couple :smirk:

Only lasted a couple of years and after around 96 / 97 the internet cut me outta the loop......

Anyone remember that when the Gals speaking too much Engish "mean"t they were the "Hardcore" proffessionals?

Then I recall that this term applied to those (few) with mobile phones?

It seemed to be somehow considered a bad thing......

Anyone remember that when the Gals speaking too much Engish "mean"t they were the "Hardcore" proffessionals?

You can bet your life I do, even to this day I still prefer the girls with 'little' English. I know it doesn't make much difference nowerdays, but old habits die hard. Interestingly I note, you also 'wrote letters' for the girls, I did the same myself on many occasions, did you 'help' them with their sales pitch? :smirk:

Archived