When and why did all this idea of "sponsorship" start ?

torrenova

I'm not a very religious man, but I seem to recall something from my early studies, I think it was Genesis 51:

1. And lo, Adam told Eve that he was going to the west end of the garden to gather some food. :wave: 2. And Eve saith unto him, "Adam, thou shalteth giveth me fifty shekels for each week you are gone, or I shall be guidethed by the hand of the dark Angel :chili: , and may lie in a bed not madeth by you." :sex: 3. And Adam did not understand, and said, "I do not understand what you mean, Eve. Mai khao jai." :dunno: 4. And Eve said, :doah: "OK, you dumb cunt, let me spell it out for you: if you don't give me fifty shekels (which is way more than I need to get by in the Garden, by the way), I will have sex with other guys and will tell you about it when you come back, but if you give me the money, :twocents::twocents::twocents: then I will not revealeth to you anything when you return :shhh: , but will pretend I have been faithful, and have not worketh the Bar." 5. And Adam saith to Eve, "But Eve, I'm the only guy in the garden. Who are you going to screw?" :hmmm: 6. And Eve looketh slyly towards the horse, the goat, and even the monkey :monkey: . 7. And therefore, upon that look, Adam giveth the money to Eve, and forsake her to worketh the Bar, :deal: and she said, "Okay baby, I not work bar. :liar: I send you sms." :rotl: 8.and lo, the Lord saw that it was not good but was all a deceitful scheme upon Adam, and called it "Sponsorship."

here endeth the lesson...

which is to say: it goes way, way back.

YimSiam

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It must have been hard to communicate with a girl you were sponsoring back in '83. (I was 11! Ha ha!)

My first trip to Thailand was 82. Comunicating was a problem in general. I only speak Swedish and English. I think you might be able to guess how useful Swedish is outside Scandinavia. Most Thais didn't speak any English at all. This included the taxi drivers. Taxis at this time didn't have meters so besides telling them where you were going you also had to negotiate the fare.

In History there was always some men paying

(one way or another) to have some "prostitutes"

available to them "exclusively"

In almost all countries it has been the case throughout history.

Yes technology changed some things but not the fundamentals.....IMHO

To each one his own.

Myself I sponsored a girl (just for 2 months)

as we saw it as a way for her to live till I move to live with her.

Now, other people I know sponsor their BG so they have the exclusivity -> let they dream they are adults and do whatever they want with their money

I think I first came to Thailand about 13 or so years ago and I just had a mobile phone. It cost me a lot in the UK and the idea of pre pay was not invested so you had to pass a credit check or place a large deposit.

Money abroad was cash or travellers checks and no-one really knew about exchange rates, only what was offered by the nearest place.

The internet did not exist in all reality. I used it for the most basic of email and that would be about it.

Sure you could transfer money around but the timliness of it all was slow.

Even when I first really dipped my foot into the P4P scene, perhaps the top 0.5% had a mobile (this being many years later). Now every girl in the village has a mobile ! In fact its quite strange to see a girl come for the first time and find out she really does not have a mobile phone !

As for the guy who didn't go back for his Thai girl and then lost her photo years later, I think it was a lot more difficult then. Even happened to me in about 1987 with a girl from Germany and that still goes through my head from time to time.

What about the numbers though guys ? Why do these men send far much more than is required and often more than they can afford ?

What about the numbers though guys ? Why do these men send far much more than is required and often more than they can afford ?

I think it gets down to money sent vs potential earnings or current earnings of the girl in question.

Torrenova, you and I have sat at your bar many times and worked out numbers involving salaries and profits / loss etc!!

As you stated in your OP, 10K a month should be enough for a girl if she's back in her village.

Not much to spend it on there.

But if she stays in BKK or Pattaya, say, when she's "not working" her expenses are going to be a lot higher than in the village - even if she's doing the right thing and not working.

Also, if a potential sponsor says to a girl, "I'll give you 10K a month not to work", but she can get 30K a month in salary, commissions and ST/LT payments, why would she stop? The punter is going to have to AT LEAST pay the equivalent amount she can earn in the bar before she'll even think about stopping working.

And finally, remember that BG's generally live for today and don't think about the future too mutt. So whatever is going to provide the highest income this day / week, wins.

An interesting statistic for me would be what % of girls are actually sponsored on a regular basis. I wouldn't actually think it would be more than 10%. But of course, I could be way off. It's been known to happen.

As for guys who send more than they can afford, I can't answer that as I've never sponsored, so have no idea.

As for the guy who didn't go back for his Thai girl and then lost her photo years later, I think it was a lot more difficult then. Even happened to me in about 1987 with a girl from Germany and that still goes through my head from time to time.

Oh man, does this bring back memories. I am sure we all of incidents of missed opportunities. I remember a German girl I met while traveling there in the late 70s. Christine was her name. We spent a couple of fantastic days together and then I left because I was out of money. I still think of her to this day and regret not finding a way to have stayed longer...

"...As you stated in your OP, 10K a month should be enough for a girl if she's back in her village.

Not much to spend it on there..."

Yes, but many in BKK make less than this, or this amount, and get by with out selling their ass. Thus dispelling the myth that poverty alone drives all this.

"...But if she stays in BKK or Pattaya, say, when she's "not working" her expenses are going to be a lot higher than in the village - even if she's doing the right thing and not working..."

See above comments.

"...Also, if a potential sponsor says to a girl, "I'll give you 10K a month not to work", but she can get 30K a month in salary, commissions and ST/LT payments, why would she stop? The punter is going to have to AT LEAST pay the equivalent amount she can earn in the bar before she'll even think about stopping working..."

She would most likely lie her ass off, tell the guy, "...ok give me 10K a month, I won't work this bar" and go work a different bar, or just keep working. Most likely have many guys sending her money for the same reason...all on top of what she earns...this is one reason you can't get some of these whores off there ass for a reasonable price.

"...And finally, remember that BG's generally live for today and don't think about the future too mutt. So whatever is going to provide the highest income this day / week, wins..."

Right, so why trust her?

"...n interesting statistic for me would be what % of girls are actually sponsored on a regular basis. I wouldn't actually think it would be more than 10%. But of course, I could be way off. It's been known to happen..."

Depending on how you define "sponsor" you may well be wrong. I tend to think a very high number of these girls have some nit wit (or Nit wits) sending them money on a regular basis. Some may not last, some may be sporadic, but I am certain most girls have this going on *if* they have been playing the game for awhile. Some idiots who are sponsoring deny they are sponsoring...sad to see that.

"...As for guys who send more than they can afford, I can't answer that as I've never sponsored, so have no idea..."

It is called being stupid in love with a whore, been there done that, never sponsored, but did offer, see my zillion posts about Si Saket girl when it was all happening. You/I/we get wrapped up over a girl and lose our brains, logic, common sense etc go out the window...sometimes the body follows.

Interestingly I note, you also 'wrote letters' for the girls, I did the same myself on many occasions, did you 'help' them with their sales pitch? :smirk:

Not as such, they already knew what they wanted to say, I just agreed what they wanted and wrote them (in deliberate bad grammer and poor handwriting :) )

The only letter I still remember came from a Backpacker who had reached Australia and had run out of money, he was therefore making an insurance claim for items "lost" in Thailand and had said he had lost stuff when staying in a room at the Bar.........he wanted the gal to confirm to any resulting police enquiries (??!!!) that this was true.......the rest of the letter was deliberately non committed.

Apart from the request, I still remember this incident as I was quite fresh to Thailand and I remember the gal concerned was very pleased to have had a letter from Farangland, even if she had no idea what it was about! Although she knew who it was from.

When I explained the contents of the letter, and she realised that it did not contain anything personal and that this wasn't going to be the start of anything she put a brave face on it, but I knew she was dissapointed.......and I honestly do not think it was because it meant no sponsorship. Yer don't have to actually lie to these gals to let them down......

From what I could gather she had looked after him very well, including a cheap / free room behind the bar......whether payment was also involved for "services rendered" I do not know - but this was on Samuii back in 95 / 96 so it is quite feasible that a young Farang would have been viewed as a boyfreind........and not as a punter.

I forget her name :smirk:

An interesting statistic for me would be what % of girls are actually sponsored on a regular basis. I wouldn't actually think it would be more than 10%. But of course, I could be way off. It's been known to happen.

I became close to a group of BGs several years before, around 2000. 6 girls, all of them had sponsors. some fucked around, some to my knowledge didn't. YMMV.

Archived