Brown Is New British PM

Steve

i have always had the opinion that Hospitals should have some sort of reduced charges because they provide a service which is so important to every person in the UK.

Why on earth should a private sector company subsidise a wastefull, state controlled monopoly. The NHS should be put under the control of the private sector where managements are accountable (and removable) The adminstration costs of the NHS are a disgrace, and an insult to the hard working staff. A company I know, recently offered scrub suits at a 40% saving to the price already being (over) paid, the suits were identical to the ones being used (from the same manufacturer). The response from the buying office was, 'we are happy with the current arangements' it makes you wonder who's got their snout in the supply line trough, doesn't it?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i value your thoughts and agree with some........but.

i have had experience with Public and Private Health Services.

neither is 100% wonderful and have all the answers.

yes i agree that the Public side of it is wasting Money and that is a disgrace,i saw it for many Years.

but the Company that is now running my place of Work are very money conscious and that is their right as they are putting up the Money,but they just take it from other services to get their profit.

but i have an example which is of a personal nature.

i have been off work since May 20th with a condition which is not that serious as long as i follow the regime of tests and medication.

but yesterday i got a call saying that my blood results had gone through the roof and i needed a procedure which i have had before,albeit a few Years ago.

the Company i work for wanted me to be admitted to the Unit i work on for 2 Days and 3 Nights in preperation for the procedure.

i refused on 3 points.

1.i knew the procedure would not be performed until Monday,so why did i need to go into Hospital.

2.i would be taking up a bed which i did not need and which could have gone to someone more deserving in an emergency.

3.because i was referred by the GP,the Surgery would have been billed 1100 Pounds for every Night i spent in Hospital.

that's 3300 Pounds which would have been unneccessary and would have taken funds away from People who need it more.

i argued my case and will now be attending as an out-patient on Monday with little cost.

and while i agree with your comment about accountability,it doesn't always work that way.

one of the current Executives where i work and works in the private sector is currently on his 5 job on a Hospital Board.

every other palce he has worked has revealed a deficit each Year.

he has just left by mutual consent with a good payoff and then just moved on.

he doesn't seem to be held accountable for anything which has happened in the past.

his big thing since joining us is to make Surgeons redundant and limit the number of Junior Doctors.

i'm sure that all Staff on the shop floor are more important then a prat like him who has no idea about how a Hospital runs or what it actually does.

When I was a student I worked in one of the local NHS trust archiving warehouses. It was so boring. Anyway, they had a big warehouse out of the local town where all the archive boxes were stored. Loads of racks with hundreds of boxes with doctors record, school immunisations, expense boxes, you name it.

If someone in the admin side needed to check something they had to drive here and find the box.

Now for me, I thought what a waste of money and resources. Seven people were employed(seven yearly salaries) here and then they were renting out this warehouse at god knows how much per month. And this is only one area. What about all the other areas? They also used agency workers which they would be charged through the roof for...

This is just draconian. What other successful modern day business would be run like this...?

In an efficiently run business surely all this stuff should be stored on a harddrive where it can be referenced and at the admin peoples finger tips. And it was understaffed. There were pallets and pallets of back dated boxes sitting round that hadnt been archived. Surely making changes to the way this side of the business is run would save so much money. Money that could be channeled into patient care...

I think someone like Philipp Green or Leahy the Tesco man would sort these things out. It would be run so much better. Yes the government should spend lots to entice these guys to do the job. The money they would be saving would easily entice a few really good people to run it well.

Archived