wedding advice

passingthru69

..... Within ten minutes of the Sinsod being given photographs etc the money was back in my bank account.....

Wow! :surprised: Did you complete the pay-in slip in advance and then have a runner to whisk the money back to the bank?

Correct!

The Sister in Law was driven to Head office of BKK Bank on Silom, deposited the money and put the Gold etc in Safety Deposit Box, she was back within 20 minutes.

Well, I went to a traditional Thai wedding somewhere is rural Thailand about 2 hours ride north/northeast of Pattaya. A Thailand travelling companion of mine married a Thai gal.

This wedding was not in any kind of hotel. But a large room with open front. Very hot that day. This part of village was comprised of about 3 buildings. Very rural.

The bride and groom were supposed to somehow sit on floor on some cushions/mats with folded legs - as I recall. Well, the groom was too old and fat to do this. Quite comical watching him try to sit on mats on floor. He couldn't do it. Finally someone brought out a couple of chairs and a small table.

About a dozen monks arrived and we all watched and prayed. Or the monks prayed and we watched.

There was music and food. The monks got the food first as I recall.

There was money involved as all were supposed to give 'gift' to bride and groom.

I didn't have much of a clue as to what was going on and when the actual marriage took place at this gathering. Both were legally married in Bangkok weeks or months earlier.

There was a procession of all involved from gals home to the building where ceremony took place (not a long walk). But everyone did march as if in a parade.

God Bless you and I hope you have a long and healthy marriage.

I think the cash side depends upon the wealth of the family and the position of the girl.

If she is P4P, then the family is likely used to easy cash and will probably (though not always) want to milk you for all they can in non refundable sinsot and gold. If they are honest, perhaps middle class people then you have a chance to bypass all this bullshit.

As for the envelopes, you will probably make a profit the higher up the social scale you go whereas at the bottom, you will likely pay for the party and the envelopes will have next to nothing in them, many will give nothing and you will never see that money anyway.

I'll probably marry, perhaps in a year or so but it will be on my terms. No free for all for the whole village. I look on it as a loss of what I spend with perhaps some return. I'll just cap it at what I am prepared to write off and if something comes back that will be a bonus but they will not just be allowed to pocket it.

There's definately a big differendce between rural weddings and western style Bangkok weddings...i've experienced both (not my own i hasten to add, Thai friends getting hitched)...PT69, it seems to depend on what fashion is being followed, there's such huge variation.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here's an update. got the band and karoke lined up. plus a generator for out door lights and power. was told 2500 baght. brother in law went and got invites printed. Found out wife ordered 400 :shocked: Mother in law informed us many people are wanting invites.

I'm just letting my wife and her family run this show. So far have only laid out about 400 U.S.

Archived