How long do I have left?

Mekong

"Live every day as though its your last,because one day it will be" :beer:

That really isn't great advice when you think about it.

If I followed that advice, I'd soon be in jail for multiple rape, arson, murder, stealing Ferraris and fraud having spent all my money and maxed out all credit cards. :dunno:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mekong, you should try and download a song by Neil Young, called "One of these Days" Its on Harvest Moon album.

I m going to have a beer or two tonight and I ll play this song...

Its a lovely song. Neil Young can say it better than me

Just have no regrets, and and enjoy this moment with your wife and family and friends...cheers

Have a beer yourself when you listen to it, and we ll have a toast to longevity and good health...

NEIL YOUNG LYRICS

"One Of These Days"

One of these days,

I'm gonna sit down

and write a long letter

To all the good friends I've known

And I'm gonna try

And thank them all

for the good times together.

Though so apart we've grown.

One of these days,

I'm gonna sit down

and write a long letter

One of these days,

one of these days,

one of these days,

And it won't be long, it won't be long.

And I'm gonna thank,

That old country fiddler

And all those rough boys

Who play that rock 'n' roll

I never tried to burn any bridges

Though I know I let some good things go.

One of these days,

I'm gonna sit down

and write a long letter

One of these days,

one of these days,

one of these days,

From down in L.A.

All the way to Nashville,

From New York City

To my Canadian prairie home

My friends are scattered

Like leaves from an old maple.

Some are weak, some are strong.

One of these days,

I'm gonna sit down

and write a long letter

One of these days,

one of these days,

one of these days,

One of these days,

one of these days,

one of these days,

JS

I love that track, Harvest Moon is one of the Albums that never comes off my I-Pod.

As Shygye said earlier in this thread, get in touch with old friends.

When I was informed of my friends unfortunate passing away it was via an email cc'd to everyone who had had the privelege of knowing him over the years. A lot of the cc'd responses that landed in my inbox were from people I have known and we have started emailing again via one to one emails catching up on old times.

Considering what you are going through at the moment I found your reply very touching.

Stay strong mate.

I recently finished reading English comdeian Frank Muir's autobiography "A Kentish Lad". He died shortly after completion. In a postscript, Denis Norden, his life long colleague, quoted at his funeral Dr Johnson's eulogy on the loss of a friend: "Howmuchsoever I valued him, I now wish I had valued him more."

It prompted me to email some mates to tell them the same.

A lifelong mate I had a small altercation with a couple of years ago, recently suicided after having a stroke... he couldn't face a compromised lifestyle. I deeply regret not having made a greater effort to patch things up with him. I'm sure I could have kept him alive... anything (apart from constant pain)is better than looking at the lid for eternity

:beer:

Thanks junglesoup that that Neil Young song. It spoke to me as I am always saying that I am going to get this or that done before my time comes, but it never seems to happen. Not that I fear death if its fairly painless...I just don't want to leave too much of a mess behind.

At my advaced age, I seemed to be going to funerals almost every month, but even that has now slowed down. In terms of my own health, I always vow every New Years's to cut my weight and exercise more...but somehow one never seems to get round to that.

Today I embark on a log trip to Europe with six flights in the next seven days. And August is a terrible time to travel around Europe. The only benefit is that up to air I usually get more time to plan and set some priorities e.g. like improving my Thai. I can also see the odd film, something that doesn't happen down here in Phuket.

Man, this is serious stuff. I have to start packing now for an early morning start.

Wise words DOG

As I mentioned before I am concerned about his little Daughters well being. In the last week alone we have raised over 1 Million Baht towards her schooling. I made a promise to my friend when he was alive that I would look after his family if anything ever happened to him and I stand by my words.

Raising a glass to the guy now wherever he may be.

Archived