Can anyone tell me what goes on on Soi 0

Man at Work

Soi 0 is a small collection of beer bars, some of them airconditioned, many of them closed. Occassionally, you can find a looker in there, but on my last walk through a week ago, most of the girls seemed older, and less attractive. In my opinion, it has seen its better days.

never heard the song, but it could fit these days! Actually, someone once told me I looked like an old hippie, and the name sort of stuck. Now of course most of my hair is gone, so only the old part is true!

As for soi 0, I do reccomend you check it out. As I understand it, it has quite a colorful passed. If I am not mistaken, there was a place there called "Buck skinner Joes" or maybe that was the name of the "complex" the guy who started it is/was a BKK institution, similar to the guy who started Soi Cowboy. There are still a few of the older bars in BKK, reminants for the "good old days" someone should really write a book about it, and or a documentry...hmmm...it would be a shame to let such legends fade into thin air.

soi zero.

Geeze! Used to be a great place for "raunch" and fun. I knew it as soi machine. ( no idea why they refered to it like that, mabye something to do with the location/noise)

when it was all small open bars, the pisser was basically urnals up aginst the wall in the alley. (just to give you an idea how "basic" it was)

Used to be some of the girls. ( not lookers, but who cares) would take care of you a few feet from the bar area ( wher the cars were parked)

several of them lived very close by also, when the bars were closed for queens birthday, or whatever. they would hang out by the bars and bring customers up to their rooms for party time.

it use to be a pretty fun area, but now I think it would get boring fast.

There was a small massage place/room near by, where massages and anything else you wanted took place. ( so I am told as I avoided it because the girls looked way too young, mostly thai/chinese men customers from what I could see)

I think the area was controlled by (for lack of a better word) thai mofia, as almost every night I was there were some tough looking, ( and fat for thais) guys with guns under their jackets were collecting money from each bar.

( and seemed the girls were afraid to make eye contact with them)

Used to be a meeting place/hang out for some of the American embassy ppl.

One night I ran into a guy from the comm section of the U.S. embassy, started talking, discussing late tech military radio stuff, and other usual fun conversation stuff. didn't think anything of it,, until..

2 nites later some guys ( in suits no less) were there asking questions about me/ why I was asking about tech stuff, ect.

Nothing really ever came of it. ( at least no shit fell on me) but its nice to know someone looked into it. ( as an after thought)

yes, lots of memories from that place.

I used to bring a large bottle of Cuervo gold

(tequlia, in case you did not know) on my arrival, and share it. talk about a lot of fun and severly polluted ppl. ( at least what

I can remember of it was fun)

the fun with good tequlia is convincing the BGs they don't know the correct way to drink it. ( they all use the salt in wrist/lime method made famous in the old "night if the iguan" flick)

after they show you how they do it(**), ( sprinkle some salt on the lime, chew it and swish/down the tequila, spit the used lime back in the glass).

you proceede to show them the "correct"

by the time they do it correctly ( usually takes several trys) everyone is so crocked its it does not matter.

anyone been there recently ( and liked it?)

sorry for rambling, but used to be "big fun" for us.

** one time I asked a girl there to show me how she did it, ( drink tequila that is), nice misunderstanding. she said ok, but shouldn't we go behing the cars first**

aahhhh, I always go to soi 0 to start off my evening/or mid day or morning entertainment....my favorite bar is buckskin joe's with its infamous pool table, yes there are a few lookers but mostly just a great little beer bar, attentive, non-pushy staff and a decent music collection that you can request from....I have a silly superstition about taking girls from this establishment(this is a very comfy/safe place for me, nobody hassels me and I plan to keep a few bars like that-ok?), so I haven't but my friends have and been quite satisfied, stop in and check it out-my last trip was july this year.... laugh.gif" border="0

Hi,

Old hippie said:

"There are still a few of the older bars in BKK, reminants for the "good old days" someone should really write a book about it, and or a documentry...hmmm...it would be a shame to let such legends fade into thin air."

Well it isn't a book or a documentary, nor do I think it is even close to being complete, but I did write an article on the history of the nightlife in Bangkok. It's inside the memberarea.

Pasathai said:

"I knew it as soi machine. ( no idea why they refered to it like that, mabye something to do with the location/noise)"

You probably misunderstood. I think the name for it used to be 'Machim'.

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

[QB]Pasathai said:

"I knew it as soi machine. ( no idea why they refered to it like that, mabye something to do with the location/noise)"

You probably misunderstood. I think the name for it used to be 'Machim'.

QB]

Yes, the apartment block at the end where a lot of the girls lived is called Machim Apartments or something similar. Does the word mean anything in Thai?

LG

Yes, now 'Machim' does sound more like it.

probably thai mouth to farang ears

( converting in the brain to the english equ. of what it sounded like)

Great place for good times ( or was anyway)

any similar "dumpy" places in bkk like soe machim used to be?

Archived