Can anyone tell me what goes on on Soi 0

Man at Work

anyone been there recently ( and liked it?)

I passed through there last week, not that great anymore, but I still like the place. As you said, easy going staff, not pushy. I usually make it my point to walk through there and Washington square and have a drink or two on each trip, just for nostalgia's sake.

As for the "...Fat Thai mafia guys with guns, collecting money from the bars..." you mentioned, sure they weren't just cops? smile.gif" border="0

"you mentioned, sure they weren't just cops?"

Possibly, but IMHO they were too sleezy even for cops. all the thais gave them a wide birth, avoided eye contact, ect.

Have not been there for a long time, since it was "re-modled" which seems to be longer all the time.

the last time I was there, the simi enclosed bars were just opened a short time. ( the ones on the left as you walk in)

Maybe one of these days I'll check it out agin. probably some of the same bg and customers still there.

Used to be some good natured rivalry between the bars, trying to out do each other with music, special drinks, girls acting nasty,

( not really acting for some) and the ocassional birthday party/free food ( usually not free for the farang that got stuck with the bill).

good times, I really miss it.

I do not go down there so often thes days once or twice per month.

rooster Bar has always been my favorite there.

The music is good but now i find it a little too loud. I must be getting old.

Last time i was ther I noticed they have put in a couple of dancing poles. So i suppose if you buy enough lady drinks you can persuade the ladies to give you a show

Hi,

"Yes, the apartment block at the end where a lot of the girls lived is called Machim Apartments or something similar. Does the word mean anything in Thai?"

I have never heard it in Thai, so wouldn't know how it is pronounced.

"Ma" could be "come here", "dog" or "horse".

"Chim" could be "taste" or "pussy".

Hmmm, look like we can make some interesting combinations smile.gif" border="0

Sanuk!

"Only in Thailand would guys be talking about having fun and recommending

people go visit whores under a bridge. "

REALLY! At least discuss it openly.

Must be something about bridges, seems when I go jogging near by ( under a bridge on the route) there are a lot of discarded condoms about. Maybe there is something to it?

Phiketpete:

I agree about loud music. ( could be age)

Used to be on soi machim, when there were only about 6 bars in the row, they would not try to "overpower" each with the music.

I like the system on soi eric ( in phuket) all will play the same stuff most of the time.

( one sound system) makes it a decent place to hang out/talk/relax.

Of course, there may be some logic to having different/loud music at several adjacent bars. could keep us confused just enough so we don't realize what is really going on. ( kind of like the lighting hides some of the "flaws" of the bg) ( early morning light can be a shock when they are viewed in the soberness of daylight)

still, way better to be there than here typing smile.gif" border="0

Archived