Anyone Know when Vista SP1 is Due out?

Mekong

I have tried finding out online and still can't find out when. Rumour has it Office 2007 SP1 is now out in Beta and official release in November but nothing on Vista.

The reason I ask is because my laptop is on its last legs, it could go 2-3 days no problems and then all of a sudden just crash for no reason, sometimes it reboots OK, others it has DLL errors and wont boot and occassionaly BSOD on reboot. If my lappy was just for social use I could handle that but since I use it for work as well its becoming a pain.

I didn't want to get a new laptop until SP1 is released, but if it's not out soon I may be forced to.

Carlton,

I knew I could rely on you to answer this query, I feel honored to be on par with the board guru on this issue.

I may need to get a decent (2.5 Mhz + / 2 GB RAM) Laptop with Vista and wait for SP1 to become available, getting a machine with XP would be a retrograde step. Whats your thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the flowers. You see me blush?

Nothing wrong with a nice notebook featuring a dual core CPU. Either Intel or AMD will do, for notebooks Intels Core2Duo might be a better choice than AMDs Turion X2. Thumbs up for the 2 GB Ram.

You need to figure out if you can do with onboard VGA or need a separate VGA chip (a must if you want to play games).

About the Operating System, many notebooks manufacturers went back to offer Windows XP as well as Vista. Some don't, I read that HP doesn't even offer XP drivers for some of it's notebooks.

At present I prefer XP over Vista simply for the reason that XP works while Vista tends to cause trouble.

Worst scenario is a Vista computer with a printer that one wants to share with other computers (non Vista, mostly XP Home) in the network. It doesn't work. Same with sharing files and folders in a mixed environment network. This must be solved before I'd consider Vista for anything than trial.

From what I saw Vista is less responsive than XP. Applications need longer to open. Not sure if this is owed to the aero glass desktop. And I find it less easy to navigate the hard drives, partitions, folders and files with Vistas Explorer.

When Windows XP was new it had similar problems which were finally solved by SP2 and faster hardware. Maybe half a year and one Service Pack from now Vista might be a good OS. Wait and see.

Btw, you own a licence (presumably XP) which came with your old laptop. Who's to stop you from using it on the new notebook? If the computer comes with Vista then install XP as dual-boot (a bit tricky I heard). Keep using XP until you're happy with Vista.

Shygye,

I have run all Systems Diagnostics and everything is coming up as Healthy.

I actually know a little bit about computers, in the previous 12 months I have engineered, tested and installed approx US$25 Million of computerised control and safeguarding systems, it is what I fool my management I am good at to continue working in Thailand. I was just wondering if anyone had any news on SP1 release date, Carlton (as always) confirmed what I was aware of, November release date.

Thanks for trying to help.

Kamui,

You have confirmed what I heard SP1 Beta was trialed in Germany first, feedback I have is no improvements as an OS but more stable. I made the mistake of running XP in beta mode and am not prepared to be a beta tester any longer.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived