WHO on Thai TB

limbo

WHO on Thai TB

Thailand is now ranked 17th in a World Health Organis-ation list of 22 countries where tuberculosis is widespread, National Health Security Office (NHSO) secretary-general Dr Sa-nguan Nittayara-mphong saidy.Published on August 18, 2007

TB in Thailand has been resurgent along with the worsening Aids situation, coupled with inefficient preventive government measures, he said. The NHSO is running a network of disease control with more than 800 tambon administrative organisation and municipalities countrywide.

The Nation 18/08/07

>OK....to all the Docs out there

>is there a series of injections to prevent getting TB , and if you did get it is it curable ?

Not a doc, but the answers are yes to prevent (BCG vaccine) and yes to treat (although the big problem is the rise of drug resistant strains).

-j-

Back in the 1998, I had a positive TB skin test. I am convinced that I git exposed in LOS after one of my repeated trips. Thailand and their neighboring countries are rife with TB; not just the number of active TB cases (infectious), but the sheer number of exposed/infected individuals of the population.

I can't remember the prevelance rates but they are staggering for these southeast asia countries. I only found out as i had a PPD test because it is an annual requirement per hospital policy. What was ironic was that I was handled as a state occupational illness (meaning work's comp) since the burden falls on the employer to prove it was not which is practically impossible to do.....

My guess it that there are many many board members who are infected with TB but don't know because their job doesn't require mandatory TB testing nor has the disease progressed to an active infectious state meaning one is showing signs/symptoms and is, thus, contagious to others. Usually (not always) asymptomatic at the time or soon after conversion.

The good news is that for a healthy adult, one has a 10% chance in their lifetime of having active TB once converted. So by staying healthy throughout one's life, one is more than likely to die w/o ever having active TB or for some not even knowing they were TB exposed/infected in the first place. I am talking about people living in industrialized nations....

As to different strains of TB and MDR TB. While medical technology is great and we as a society have made great advances in fighting diseases and alike, one of my favorite all-time quotes is..."nature always bats last".......

CB

Just a brief aside about Thai lawyers. I called mine a few days ago and was told that he was no longer there, that he had in fact passed away from HIV a couple of months before. I was amazed to think that this highly successful attorney (in Pattaya) did not even have enough money to obtain the meds necessary to extend his own life . Damn sad IMO.

Archived