Charitable/Voluntary work?

Bkkbound04

I have a general awareness of various orphanages/Institutions/hospice's. Has anyone on the board expereience of offering themselves to do voluntary work, I have a healthcare(nursing)and health management background and good english skills. I;m not looking for a salaried post but just considering spending a few weeks or so doing something more than my usual hedonistic bender( although geting married has already ended that avenue of joy!!).

Whenever I'm out in Issan I invariable get asked to meet a class of kids which just descends into mayhem but fun for the kids.If anyone has similar experience could you offer your perspective and share the experience and if possible who you recommend to contact or direct me in the direction of... :question: :question:

Thanks

JP

I was a Peace Corps vol, which is quite a bit different. (I was a university lecturer who did the same as Thai and contract lecturers, except I got paid by the PC - not the Thai govmt.)

www.ajarn.com sometimes has adverts for volunteers for things like summer camps, working with refugees etc. You get room and board and pocket money, maybe transportation too.

http://www.teflasia.com/ajarn/browse_jobs/index.html

----------------------------

Here's an odd one, if you've got an IT background:

Bangkok (Thailand)

At least 40,000 Baht/month

bangkokep@yahoo.co.uk

Full Time TEMPORARY Computer Teacher (5 weeks)

We are currently seeking a TEMPORARY Computer Teacher to teach Grade 4-6 students in our English Program. The position will commence ASAP!

Assumption College Bangkok Primary Section English Program (EP) is seeking an AUSTRALIAN, BRITISH, CANADIAN, AMERICAN or NEW ZEALAND national to apply for the position of TEMPORARY COMPUTER TEACHER.

The position will commence ASAP and initially be until the last week of September (approximately 5 weeks). There is a possibility that the position will extend beyond then.

Responsibilities include teaching:

- Grade 4 computers (4 classes â?? 1 period/week)

- Grade 5 computers (4 classes â?? 2 periods/week)

- Grade 6 computers (4 classes â?? 2 periods/week)

EP class sizes are 25 students.

Ideally we would like a teacher with a teaching qualification (B Ed etc). However, as this is a short term contract we will consider applicants who can prove with their experience that they are capable of teaching the content above.

The successful applicant will be paid a generous salary which will be determined according to their qualifications and experience.

Interested applicants should email a CV, accompanied by a cover letter and recent photograph to bangkokep@yahoo.co.uk ASAP!

We will respond to short-listed applicants only.

A friend of mine was working on the Burmese border for a few weeks... in fact nipping in and out in a less than legal fashion, distributing mosquito nets and vitamin supplements to internally displaced Burmese.

If you like, I can contact her and ask her for the details.

You should be able to put your health skills to use near Mae Sot, in one of the refugee camps, maybe in training/capacity building.

Laos has lots of need too.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to border stuff:

A friend of mine was working on the Burmese border for a few weeks... in fact nipping in and out in a less than legal fashion, distributing mosquito nets and vitamin supplements to internally displaced Burmese.

You should be able to put your health skills to use near Mae Sot, in one of the refugee camps, maybe in training/capacity building.

quote]

If the border communities, including camps and the Mae Sot mafia (80% in jest, I say that), had 100 kyat for every well-meaning foreigner who thought they could be the first one to pull a Florence Nightingale/Rambo routine to save the Burmese/Karen/hilltribe/whatever people, they'd be rich as Argentines... The best way to volunteer is to take as much money out of your bank as you can, and give it to an efficient, reliable group that is addressing needs you feel need addressing -- and then, if you want them to take you on a Rambo-like tour to extreme areas as a bonus, that might be arranged as well, but be sure your donation is big enough to cover the expenses of yet another farang thinking he's on the Long Patrol... If you really have will, skill and money enough to contribute, contact an agency like GHAP or Mae Tao Clinic in advance and ask them what they need - and then just pay for it. Your most revolutionary act may be to take a government-authorised group tour in Myanmar itself, and take time to make contact with those living there who have little communication with farang.

Archived