where do you get small format movies etc for playing on phones etc

OCgringo

Hi

I see some of the phones, small MP3 players etc can play videos ,

while this is not the best way to watch movies or TV shows it would work to cut the boredom of long flights and layovers,

but where do you find something in such a small format to download ?

Thanks

OC

Depends on the device. Obviously you can get movies from Itunes for your ipod. Then there are a number of software programs that will let you rip DVD movies down to a format supported by your particular device.

There are also ways to rip/save content from youtube.

Then there is always bit torrent, limewire and newsgroups but then your not always sure of the quality, if they are infected with spyware, viruses etc. not to mention the copyright issues.

What device are you looking to view movies on?

not sure what I would play it on,

there are media players that have a small Hard drive , and others us SD cards

I have a GPS that uses SD cards and can play video or MP3s,

I also have a Nokia 770 that can play video,

There are many things out there , just wondering what people do to get the videos

OC

The Nokia 770 supports AVI, Real Video and MPEG4, so you can download a number of shareware programs that will rip DVD's to these formats.

You can also Google "saving Youtube files or Google Video files" and you'll find step by step instructions on saving the video file from these sites and then converting to avi for playback.

A lot of people find process of ripping DVD's to be time consuming and tedious and don't have much patience for it. If you're one of these people, you'll want to download the files already ripped/converted. If it's TV shows you are after, your best bet is to subscribe to a reliable news server and you can get the most recent episode for just about any show from alt.binaries.tv, alt.binaries.boneless, alt.binaries.multimedia, etc.

Likewise there are groups that have the full feature movies posted.

thanks....

not really sure what I want , just needs to be many hours and on a small format so it fits on the SD card ,

plus the battery life will be a problem unless I have a place to charge it,

ripping DVDs does take time , but then you just walk away from the computer and do something else ,

but stuff like Top gear would be good to have or even Monty Python,

it needs to be something fun , I would hate to only have "dark" movies when you are stuck at some airport for 8-10 hours for a flight delay !

OC

Archived