Earthquake

Mekong

There's unlikely to be a tsunami caused by the previous area of the fault for a long time, it all depends on how much pressure was released by the plate movement. I think holidaying in Phuket will be safe for quite some time to come...but that could be famous last words time! Still from what i've read and knowing a bit about plate tectonics...

as a Phuket lover i have been back since and would have no worries about a Tsunami happening again.

it was a one-off and i doubt wether it will happen again in my life-time,but never say never.

the thought of a disaster happening is wrong thinking.

just because something happened a couple of Years ago does not mean it will happen on a Yearly basis.

it was lucky that the Tsunami hit at that time of Day.

6 Hours earlier and the casualty list would have been far higher.

i have more fears about a drunken driver jumping a redclight and trashing me then i do off dying if and when a Tsunami hits.

There's unlikely to be a tsunami caused by the previous area of the fault for a long time, it all depends on how much pressure was released by the plate movement. I think holidaying in Phuket will be safe for quite some time to come...but that could be famous last words time! Still from what i've read and knowing a bit about plate tectonics...

Agreed. Scientists look to seismic gaps for most likely earthquakes. Seismic gaps are areas of immobile rock along faults where pressure has not been recently released.

KK, having a flashback to Earth Science.

Archived