Monks On The Move

bust

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is there no international action/intervention ..i just don't understand..

Oh, like in Iraq or Afganistan? That worked out so well why not try it in Burma.

Burma looks like the 1968 Chicago Democratic convention. when the Chicago cops beat up and gassed everyone in Chicago including Dan Rather and the politicians they were "protecting."

Also, Kent State, where the Ohio National Guard shot and killed 3 student protesters.

It's similar to the last Republican Convention in NYC, where the cops drove motor bikes into the penned in demonstrators. The cops also locked up more than 1000 peaceful demonstrators and held them, without due process or charges, on a rotting Hudson River pier, with rats and asbestos debris, until the convention was over.

Isn't democracy grand?

One issue I haven't seen addressed much so far is what the monks were up to in the decades prior to these demonstrations -- as far as I'm aware, they've been quite controlled by/cooperative with the junta in particular, although I'm sure there are certain monks who have taken a stand on occasion (I think there's one famous monk and monastery on the eastern border, who has supported reconciliation between Christian and Buddhist Karen, he's famous for vegetarianism and has maybe made veiled criticisms of the gov't?). There's also been criticism of monks alleged to have sparked communal violence between Buddhists and Muslims every once in a while.

Apparently there's an old joke in Burma about the close links between the monks and the military: a guy buys a TV in Yangon, but brings it back the next day. He complains to the shopkeeper: "I paid for a full colour TV, and I want my money back! When I got it home last night, I found out it only shows two colours: green and orange!" If you've ever watched Myanmar TV, you'll get the point: every night there are (were?) endless programmes showing the generals in the green uniforms making merit at various temples, surrounded by monks in orange...

Whatever they've been up to over the years, it was awesome to see that parade of red robes a few days ago, with the protective public on either side...

YimSiam

What the army's been up to:

Photos prove Burma atrocities

Satellite pictures taken in 2000 and 2006 show that villages have been replaced by military sites at some 25 locations across eastern Burma, just as eye-witnesses had said.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) says high resolution satellite photos show evidence of destroyed villages, forced relocations and a growing military presence in 25 sites across Karen state and surrounding areas.

The AAAS said that the satellite photos offered the first physical evidence of eye-witness accounts of human-Rights abuses and the destruction of villages by the secretive military regime, which has ruled Burma for more than 45 years.

Bangkok Post

I saw video of the taunting - very strange, a bunch of civilians jeering and insulting the men with guns as if it was a game... There have been a bunch of stories lately about the impact of info technology on these protests, how mobile phone video, unstoppable internet, etc have brought the protests to the world. But when it's over, all that video, all those photos, will probably serve as the basis for many arrests of protesters (but perhaps also of the guy who shot the photographer). Again, you just have to marvel at the bravery of these people getting out in the streets, when the potential consequences are so dire.

I wonder if the monks came up with the 'F--- you, army' chant? I'm not sure that's in the Buddha's teachings...

Archived