Beer vs. Spirits vs. Wine: The Better Buzz?

Fiery Jack

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I adore Nuits Saint-Georges' date=' Gevrey Chambertain and a good Cote Du Beaune [/quote']

good! Charmes Chambertin still a bit better than Gevrey Chambertin; what about a Pommard, a Chassagne Montrachet, a Echezeaux?

or Chablis, Meurseault if you prefer white wine!

just from Burgundy! but there are Bordeaux, the huge range of fine Italian wines!

Ok ..which Chambertin did Napoleon used to drink?

Thanks TB,

but maybe I'm Blind as well as Dum!!!

Cheapest Grange on your attached list is $350, which is just a tad more than $200....but still quite reasonable for Grange. Personally have only ever had (shared) 2 bottles...an '83 and an '85....very pleasant....But....I actually prefer Hill of Grace....not that I've ever had a cellar full of it either!!!...lol...

Cheers DS

I do recall Tiger telling me he saw some advertised in the States (Costco, I think) @ US $189...an absolute bargain....Think he bought a couple of cases....so he could give a botten to each of his girlfriends.....555555555555555

Mouton Rochschild, again, nice, but the older the better and a little over priced to say the least.

There was an interesting documentary on TV a couple of nights ago about the Pauillac region, mostly concerning Château Mouton Rothschild and how it 'bought' it's 1st class growth status in 1973 by bribing a succession of agricultural ministers and representatives of the INAO.

The CEO was interviewed and asked whether the Mouton terroir was unique or whether any of the surrounding vinyards shared it's characteristics. He stated that it was unique and that no other vinyards touched it.

They then went to interview a neighbouring vinyard owner who took the crew out to his vinyard which was separated from Mouton by a narrow, 2m, footpath. The owner was asked whether there was any difference in his terroir to that of Mouton. He replied that the only difference was that his soil was totally organic whilst Mouton uses 'Round-Up' and other 'horrible' chemicals.

He was also asked why his wine sold for $20 a bottle whilst Mouton sold for $200 a bottle. He replied, "$20 dollars a bottle is a fair price for both of our wines, but they can charge $200 a bottle because of their name, status and history".

There is a lot of truth in what he said and the whole classification system in France, particularly in Bordeaux is one of the biggest con games in history.

Archived