Beer vs. Spirits vs. Wine: The Better Buzz?

Fiery Jack

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

French?

mouton Rothschild

Australian:

Grange

it is Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Torney! :neener:

overpaid as Opus One, another poster mentioned!

but guys there is a huge range between the mediocre Chateau Neuf du Pape and those exclusive overpaid luxury wines! whether french, italian, even some californian or australian!

you can do better!

It had to be mentioned :neener:

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant

Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar

Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume

Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya

'Bout the raising of the wrist.

Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,

On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away--

Half a crate of whisky every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.

Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.

'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,

A lovely little thinker,

But a bugger when he's pissed.

Grange is ok...had a few good ones that cost upwards of 300 quid, my mother used to buy cases of it. Mouton Rochschild, again, nice, but the older the better and a little over priced to say the least.

I adore Nuits Saint-Georges, Gevrey Chambertain and a good Cote Du Beaune (altho' i've had medicore ones too)...grand Cru being the bollox, but a nice premier cru from the Burgundy region will often suffice. These can be picked up for a reasonable price in the UK. I don't recall seeing them in BKK...now i'm thinking of them, i have to find a bottle soon...

I don't drink beer...really can't stand the stuff. Vodka i can drink like a fish...one free bar night in Mexico i had in excess of 30-40 shots of the stuff...plus tequila! Needless to say i was hammered.

Whiskey i tend to only like if it's expensive and old, altho' like Coss i love Laphroaig and i'm partial to a nice single malt like Glennfidich or Glenmorangle.

I tend to cane the Johnny Walker shit in BKK sometimes if i goto RCA or some such, as it's drinkable with coke, but i wouldn't describe it as a pleasureable experience. It's just a getting drunk drink.

I adore Nuits Saint-Georges, Gevrey Chambertain and a good Cote Du Beaune

good! Charmes Chambertin still a bit better than Gevrey Chambertin; what about a Pommard, a Chassagne Montrachet, a Echezeaux?

or Chablis, Meurseault if you prefer white wine!

just from Burgundy! but there are Bordeaux, the huge range of fine Italian wines!

Archived