Latest Pattaya Write-Up in Lonely Planet

MooNoi

I was having a look through the new Thailand â??Lonely Planetâ? guidebook at work today, and itâ??s interesting to notice the difference in writing and opinion now that Joe Cummins is now not in the list of authors.

In previous editions, Pattaya was slagged as just a sex-tourist destination as described as very ho-hum and one should only go if theyâ??re male, fat, balding, middle-aged to old and after cheap sex.

The write up in the new edition reads thus: (I thought it was an interesting take on the place)

"A heavy-breathing and testosterone-fuelled testament to holiday hedonism, Pattaya has lulled tourists for almost four decades, and itâ??s showing no signs of slowing down. And as past visitors move on to more genteel Thai resorts, first-time travellers from Russia and Eastern Europe now air their new passports with a fling in Asiaâ??s first and foremost Sin City. Anyone for Pattayagrad?

The cast may be evolving, but the scenery and soundtrack remain the same. The gorgeous half-moon of Pattaya Bay swoops around the headland to the (slightly) more refined Hat Jomtein, and delicate sea-breezes whip up a heady cocktail of suntan lotion, fast food, and motorcycle and jet-ski fumes. Wide-eyed package tourists jostle with Indian tailors, ruddy middle-aged Western men, and beachfront fruit and seafood vendors. Thumping beats, cruising â??baht busesâ? and the commercial hubbub provide an irresistible symphony. And after dark the touristâ??s eyes open even wider with a stroll past Pattayaâ??s infamous go-go bars amid the sex tourism hub of Walking Street.

Pattayaâ??s a stay up late kind of town, but wake up earlier than most and there are activities galore to redress your daytime / nighttime balance. Hit the dive shops to explore the cityâ??s offshore reefs and wrecks, or get some fresh air on world-class golf courses. And if youâ??re here with the family, the kids (and Mum and Dad), will find plenty to do to make it a real holiday.

The townâ??s wicked essence remains definitely intact, but around the fringes itâ??s softening and becoming more inclusive. If you welcome it with a dash of confidence and a pinch of adventure, Pattayaâ??s sun-kissed pursuit of happiness might prove irresistible."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite spot on IMO. Pattaya is not just all about sex. If stay away from South Pattaya at night and don't live in the sex tourist hotels between 2nd Road and Beach road you don't have to watch all that filth. But still the filth is there just 5 minutes away when I need it :hubba:

A good write up nice to see LP employing someone who may actually visit the places they write about.

I've been taking the Thai family to Patts for years lots of stuff to do during the day, great restaurants at night and the nightlife for the adults a five minute bus away

That's quite spot on IMO. Pattaya is not just all about sex. If stay away from South Pattaya at night and don't live in the sex tourist hotels between 2nd Road and Beach road you don't have to watch all that filth. But still the filth is there just 5 minutes away when I need it :hubba:

Trooper and your assesment was spot on also, where I live in Pattaya is a quiet area lots of long term expats and middle aged couples on vacation in the apartments, my local pub could be just like any pub in the UK, but if I walk 2 minutes up the Soi I am on Second Road right opposite Soi 6.

Its a Hard Life :)

It's interesting that they don't totally condemn the place. What does this mean? Is it a sign of the times? Could sex tourism finally be getting accepted as normal human activity?

Or could it be that the local tourism board has bunged them some money to fill up the multitude of hotels that are popping up all over the place....mind you that could be me being cynical :)

Archived