If you're running Windows XP ...

carlton68

... the following might be interesting for you.

I read that the beta for Windows XP Service Pack 3 is out and tested. No date yet when SP3 should be final and released. I don't expect it to be this year.

M$ changed it's policy regarding distribution of Internet Explorer 7. Previously WGA needed to successfully validate your OS in irder to install IE7. This check is no longer part of the install process. Now every Windows XP - even the ones that failed WGA validation - may install IE7.

You may download it here but don't forget to choose to your desired language. And get the relevant security updates after you installed IE7.

Reason might be that usage statistics if IE was less than 80% lately and other browsers are gaining.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too, I use Firefox with various Add-Ons.

I'm not coding websites but I too came across the problem KS describes. Part of our intranet at work won't work with IE7, so we are stuck with IE6. However, our intranet seems to work with FF and Opera, as far as I can tell.

Hi,

"I'm not coding websites"

I do, and it's a serious pain in the butt. I develop in FF. Site is done, works fine in FF. Check in IE6, almost guaranteed I'll have to spend anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours 'fixing' things so it works in IE6. Then try in IE7 and it's not uncommon more work is required.

Now, I can understand the FF - IE6 differences, but why the fuck did they change the engine for IE7?

Sanuk!

Actually a little longer than six months. Interesting that this is the second extension to builders like Dell. After that system builders will probably offer XP downgrades with their new PCs that ship with Vista.

>>Microsoft extends XP sales to June 2008

Microsoft Corp. said it will keep selling its Windows XP operating system beyond January, in response to demand from customers.

The company decided to extend the deadline until the end of June to give customers -- particularly small businesses -- more time to switch to the new Windows Vista.

"Maybe we were a little ambitious to think that we would need to make Windows XP available for only a year after the release of Windows Vista," said Mike Nash, a corporate vice president for Windows product management at Microsoft.

While software retailers and major computer makers like Dell Inc. will stop offering XP next June, system builders, or smaller companies that make and sell PCs, will still sell the older operating system until the end of January 2009.<<Link

Archived