The Instruction Manual

The_Munchmaster

When I buy a new piece of equipment, whether it be a mobile phone, DVD player, camera, washing machine, etc, I generally read the instruction manual (IM) before I try to use it. After all it makes sense, doesn't it? :dunno:

The exception would be where I'm buying an upgrade of something I already have and therefore already know the basics of the new piece of equipment, so only have to refer to the IM for the new functions.

However one board member I know, whose name I will not mention, will buy something and then immediately try to operate it without even glancing at the IM. After no success he will then ask me or someone else how to do it and if we don't know then only then, as a last resort, will he refer to the IM! :shakehead

Isn't that right Teddy? :rolleyes:

Is anyone else like this person, whose name I haven't mentioned?

I worked in an engineering role for most of my early working life and have seen £100,000's worth of equipment damaged due to the failure to read the manual, mostly by people who should know better. I once saw a 'skilled' marine engineer totally wreck a large multi cylinder Honda motorcycle engine whilst trying to dismantle it, he had failed to notice a couple of well hiden bolts were still in place, and resorted to using wedges and an increasingly large hammer to split the head from the cylinder block. After breaking the fins on both components he totally lost it, his temper got the better of him, and the engine got destroyed. (true story)

reading IMs is for women, as is asking for directions.

we real men do not need IMs nor ever need to ask the way as we know better anyways.

we may break engines, lose hours trying to find the right soi, or throw our Sony Ericsson T650i around the room but we won't give in...ever! we WILL find out ourselves!

eventually

perhaps

Archived