When do you tip and not tip, worldwide ?

Partyguy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<>

North American standard is the house tip the server is paying (usually 4-6% on there total ring out)is divided on a set percentage to bartenders, cooking staff, hostess.

I unfortunately think that most people are under the assumption that if they leave a waiter a $5 tip, that he goes home with that $5..these people would be sadly mistaken. He will be paying the house tip regardless of how the customer tips him, which brings me back to my point by leaving a waiter $0 he actually loses money.

<

Then again, maybe you are one of those lousy, whiny, incompetent waiters who people choose not to tip. >>

much apolagies, but I do get a little worked up on the fact that a large percentage of people have NO idea how this system works (many friends and family of myself included).

And no not a waiter for some 12 years ago or so, but have been in the industry in some capacity for the last 16 years and now own a nightclub and resto-lounge. I do find myself in the forefront of the tipping debate on a daily basis.

"People dont realize that servers at restaurants usually have to pay a 4-6% house tip on your bill"

Now THAT's what I call bloody shocking not the practice of not tipping.

So in effect you're actively encouraging employers to charge their employees to work?

There should be a law against it.

Archived