When do you tip and not tip, worldwide ?

Partyguy

in a sense your right, and this is a flaw in the system. This does encourage the server to give the best service they can because they know they have to get enough tip to hit the break even point. The server also has to realize that the tip a customer gives isnt solely based on the servers performance...it was based on that customers entire interaction with the establishment, quality of food, hostess friendliness and promptness, quality of drinks the bartender made, the dishwasher who provided a clean plate to get the food to the customer. There is a huge interaction between staff to provide that customer with a situation where a tip is warranted. Therefore a house tip is a system that rewards all employees involved in creating that tip.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pool who expect others to tip just because they tip and thus try to push their ideas on to others make me sick (to use wording from your original post). And people who tell me that I should tip 15% in Thailand because they do that in their owncountry make me even more sick. In my homeland - yes, a Western country - tipping is not part of the culture.

Personally, I play by the local rules wherever I go. In NZ, I don't tip because that is the practice. If I was in America, I would tip as the locals do which I believe is 15%. In Thailand, I tip as the locals do which usually means a small gratuity, but if the service is excellent, then a more generous amount.

Stick

From Mr Tipster of the World :D:neener:

sure Torney' date=' i know local customs and culture as i have been there...several times and understand the language; your view of the world comes from your catalogues of your travel agency in down under! :neener:

[/quote']

I always tip ..for good service..

I have been to Thailand :p last time i looked i have a Thai wife.. :neener:

A few dollars ..not much for you ..a lot for them :neener:

In the US I tip 20% of the bill, pure and simple. Anyone who says 15% is a fucking cheapskate trying to live in a past of about 20 years ago.

In Thailand, I follow the example of the Thais I know: if it's a restaurant with obvious employees, 5-10% of the bill. If it's a family-run restaurant (with the kids as slave labor), no tip.

At farang-oriented girlie bars in Thailand, I always tip 20 baht, pretty much no matter what my bill is.

I've also taken to tipping girls in bar beers who sit and chat with me and never ask for drinks (100 baht given a, say, one-hour chat). If they ask for a drink, I may buy one, I may not...it depends how far into my entry into the bar they ask. If it's less than 5 minutes into our chat chances are slim for them. If they ask for a drink before they've even asked my name/where I from, fuck, no way baby...

preahko

<

Then again, maybe you are one of those lousy, whiny, incompetent waiters who people choose not to tip. >>

much apolagies, but I do get a little worked up on the fact that a large percentage of people have NO idea how this system works (many friends and family of myself included).

And no not a waiter for some 12 years ago or so, but have been in the industry in some capacity for the last 16 years and now own a nightclub and resto-lounge. I do find myself in the forefront of the tipping debate on a daily basis.

Then why would you penalize the server when a low or no tip is left! :cussing: If the cook messes up and the customer does not leave a tip it is insane to take money out of the servers wage. It is completely unfair that only the server gets penalized.

Lucky I do not need to tip at McDonalds, Burger King and 7-11 :)

OC

I'm sorry to say that is probably not far behind. It seems every convenience store in the States has a fucking tip jar sitting on the counter now days. :onfire: :banghead::cussing:

I don't mind tipping but this is the equivalent to begging for change. A tip for ringing me up at the register? :thumbdown:

Archived