When do you tip and not tip, worldwide ?

Partyguy

If I was in America' date=' I would tip as the locals do which I believe is 15%. Stick[/quote']

Standard is now 18%.

That is maybe standard in NYC, but definitely is not in Atlanta! There is no reason tip rates should increase! Doing so means the cost of tips are rising at the square of the food costs. :doah:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The dipshits around here practically demand tips for nothing, pisses me off. Those in restaurants expect a top wage for carrying food 10 feet from the kitchen to the table (or less effort than that).

I was at Mel's downtown. The guy only had to walk about 3 feet to pick up my food and simply turn around to reach the coffee pot. Granted it was busy due to a conference at the Moscone Center but I had to ask for coffee several times before I got it and then waited as he served someone who came in after me. :onfire: I guess maybe I wasnt his type :D:dunno:

There was an Asian girl behind the counter :hubba: who saw I was getting pissed, came over poured my coffee, went and got my food and apologized. :thumbup:

I handed her the tip after numbnuts left me the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

As an Australian, I'm uncomfortable with tipping. It's not expected in Australia, and can even be insulting if you say keep the change in some circumstances.

Traveling around the world the whole notion of tipping was a souring experience. I just made my mind up that if it was a tipping culture - I'd pay my dues, and handsomely - because I never wanted to worry about it. Just accept that that is what is owed.

The whole 'tipping' system sucks in America. Get a haircut - have to fucking tip! Buy a beer - have to fucking tip! Even the bums on the street want a cut of my action! And it's like a bum hurdle walking down a street in New York! What America needs in my opinion is a decent social security system. Why should I as a tourist have to be concerned with someones health care or superannuation when I just want a fucking beer for Christ's sake?

To the OP - you want my tip? Fuck the whole tipping system off and pay people a decent wage. Until then I hear what you are saying and will continue to bear angst about how much, when and how little if any in what particular part of the world I tip.

What I won't accept is your overbearing attitude that assumes that all westerners are miserly and not looking after the poor service people. It's not our job to manage their wages, it's the employers who are stingy and frugal. You're barking up the wrong tree mate.

My prob is that most people dont know the process of what happens when you leave a tip, who gets what portion of that tip etc. This was obviously evident with the reponses this post received...

I pay my staff the appropriate hourly wage for the hospitality industry in my part of the world. $8-$9/hour , my bartenders usually work 5-6 hours on there shift, so $40-$55 in wage not including income tax. They usually walk with $300-$400 in tips each on which they pay next to NO income tax, so most couldnt give a shit if there getting minimum wage, its a small percentage of there actual earnings.

15% in America at a nice restaurant,10% taxi.In Thailand usually Tip good restaurant 15% although my girlfriend said that was to high.I had a bill for 1150 baht at a seafood restaurant wanted to leave 150 baht my girlfriend said that was to high and just to leave 40 baht.

I told her in America its 15 to 20 percent,she was shocked at those rates.She said in Thailand thats to high

Archived