Student Group Wants More Guns on Campus

Flashermac

SAN MARCOS, Texas (AP) - Mike Guzman and thousands of other students say the best way to prevent campus bloodshed is more guns.

Guzman, an economics major at Texas State University-San Marcos, is among 8,000 students nationwide who have joined the nonpartisan Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, arguing that students and faculty already licensed to carry concealed weapons should be allowed to pack heat along with their textbooks.

"It's the basic right of self defense," said Guzman, a 23-year-old former Marine. "Here on campus, we don't have that right, that right of self defense."

Every state but Illinois and Wisconsin allows residents some form of concealed handgun carrying rights, with 36 states issuing permits to most everyone who meets licensing criteria. The precise standards vary from state to state, but most require an applicant to be at least 21 and to complete formal instruction on use of force.

Many states forbid license-holders from carrying weapons on school campuses, while in states where the decision is left to the universities, schools almost always prohibit it. Utah is the only state that expressly allows students to carry concealed weapons on campus.

More

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:red]"Utah is the only state that expressly allows students to carry concealed weapons on campus."[/color]

It seems to work in Utah. Weapons used to be allowed on campuss. When they were allowed, lunatics running around killing people on campus were unheard of. Then came the social unrest of the 60's. Weapons were banned from the campus. This allowed such incidents as Kent State to happen.

Everybody should have the right to protect themselves, no matter what people some people say.

This also illustrates how the U.S. is diverse in terms of gun ownership. Texas has always been a state that is generally supportive in the opposition to a gun ban. I would imagine that a Boston, Mass. or New York City university would have a diametrically opposed view of guns.

Wow, I thought those peaceful Mormons in Utah were the 'turn the other cheek' types. :shocked: Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

At my college town in Alabama where I went to school, a pick up truck with a shotgun rack in the rear with a shotgun on it, especially during hunting season, was a common sight.

Archived