Student Group Wants More Guns on Campus

Flashermac

A rite of passage in the south for many young men was to be given a .22 rifle at the age of 16. In a lot of cases as young as 14. They were taken hunting by their fathers and shown the proper way to use a gun and told of the great responsibility they had. They were shown how to respect other hunters, etc. while out. They usually started out with hunting squirrels and rabbits. Small game. I had a teammate on the team from rural Alabama when I was at school there and he was given a .22 his first year in High School.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The logic of that makes you wonder why George Bush hasn't introduced legislation to make the carrying of loaded firearms manditory for everyone, children included, the only exception being convicted felons eh? Surely America would then become the safest place on earth. Personally, I doubt even GB is that f'in stupid.

I'm sorry, taking my quote and trying to use an extremist counter arguement doesn't win you any brownie points. It's a matter of choice.

If you don't want the right to carry a gun around to protect yourself, fine. Don't carry one.

It's just foolish when people like you try to dictate that others should put themselves at the same risk as you, just because you want to pretend banning guns will somehow stop criminals from getting guns and shooting people.

I guess it's like drugs, they are banned, and we don't have any drug problems in the USA do we?

Well, using that logic, why have *any* laws at all?

Regards,

SD

Can we use some constraint and take things into context and not try to grasp at threads of extremes?

I could just as well grasp at faulty logic and say, if we are going to ban guns we should ban anything that could potentially be used as a weapon. No more driving, you could run somebody over with a car. No carrying of string or wire, you could strangle somebody. Hell, just to be absolutely safe you have to walk completely nude so we know you aren't concealing anything, and from now on it's against the law to learn or use any form of self-defense including martial arts. You could potentially hurt or kill somebody with that knowledge after all.

You and I both know that laws are there to try to pursuade people from doing things society considers wrong. Yes, there is a constant renegotiation on what is considered right and wrong, but in the end, as the saying goes, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Which has to be the most illogical saying I know!

And for all your logic, the PROOF is in the numbers, look at crime rates with guns in countries than ban pistols etc, and compere to USA, time and again, USA is way to high.

IF you STOPPED MAKING the guns, then no one would need to have one to protect themselves!

The only reason gun rates in Aust UK etc are growing is they often are buying illegal guns made in USA! Go figure that logic.

If you don't want the right to carry a gun around to protect yourself, fine. Don't carry one

Personally, I want the right to be safe, and free of any need to carry a gun, I'd hate to live my life in a state of perpetual fear. I can honestly say the last time I was afraid, was when I was 17 and heard the local hard man had been told I'd been shagging his girlfriend. Guns don't make you safe, they make you vunerable, we Brits have balls, we don't need guns. To be fair to yourself, if I lived in a country awash with nutters armed to the teeth, I would probably buy a gun for my own protection until I could arange passage to a more civilised abode.

The Kent State NGs were undisciplined VN War draft dodgers armed with out of date WWII equipment. At the very least, their commissioned officers should have been brought before a court-martial, convicted of failure to command and conduct unbecoming officers, and sentenced to nice prison terms. If a few shots had been fired back at the Kent State NGs, they would have been pissing their pants - but probably responded by shooting everyone in sight.

Some of the KS protestors were being deliberately provocative, but that was no excuse to fire on them. Who was the genius who allowed the NGs to carry live ammunition in their ammo pouches anyway? You use bayonets for crowd control, not bullets.

:banghead:

Which has to be the most illogical saying I know!

And for all your logic, the PROOF is in the numbers, look at crime rates with guns in countries than ban pistols etc, and compere to USA, time and again, USA is way to high.

IF you STOPPED MAKING the guns, then no one would need to have one to protect themselves!

The only reason gun rates in Aust UK etc are growing is they often are buying illegal guns made in USA! Go figure that logic.

Apply same logic to any state in the USA banning guns, they'll simply get them next door. Apply that logic to any country, they'll simply get them next door.

If you want to rid the whole world of guns, then there might be a point to be made. But as long as guns are made somewhere, then there will be people purchasing them for less then nobel reasons and people wanting to defend themselves.

Archived