Student Group Wants More Guns on Campus

Flashermac

Up to the early 60's, students could carry guns on campus. People could carry guns on airplanes, etc. But when they were not allowed to carry guns, crazy stuff happened. People going around killing people without any real reason.

At Kent State, if the National Guard suspected some of the students had guns, they probably would have thought it over again about shootin.

Not a strange idea. Where I live, stores that make a issue of no interference with guns, get robbed more often. Stores were there is no policy, don't get robbed as much. Even the local police say having a gun is a deterrient.

As for chilling out, this is my last message for a while. Maybe permanently. Gun control is a big issue with me especially since 4 Thai gentlemen tried robbing me. Hard for me to look the other way, etc.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This allowed such incidents as Kent State to happen.

That's an interesting perspective. Are you suggesting the students at Kent State should have shot back at the National Guard?

This post shows EXACTLY how out of touch and "Fantasy Island" Mr BT's views really are...

Regards,

SD

At Kent State, if the National Guard suspected some of the students had guns, they probably would have thought it over again about shootin.

As for chilling out, this is my last message for a while. Maybe permanently. Gun control is a big issue with me especially since 4 Thai gentlemen tried robbing me. Hard for me to look the other way, etc.

Maybe if you'd had a gun you could have scared the Thai guys off or shot them (and gone to jail). We'll never know.

A case could probably be made for convenience stores in the US having guns too. But you are way off with that Kent State example. You obviously don't understand how the power structure works. Remember Waco?

With the abundance of guns around what is suprising is the lack of gun incidents in major examples of domestic unrest. Several urban centers had riots in the '60s (Detroit, Newark, Los Angeles, etc.) and although there were arson and looting, there were a surprising low amount of people going in the streets with guns ablazing.

Even the southerners who bitterly opposed integration didn't bunker down and shoot at the national guards who forced integration. The recent LA riots after the Rodney King verdict had very little gun incidents. It was almost all looting. The areas had a lot of guns, the gangs had a cache of weapons but still very little incidents of the residents of south central all roaming the streets with guns. The only sign of guns were of Korean shop keepers on rooftops protecting their property.

I don't think enough has been made of the restraint shown by Americans in general in domestic unrest given the amount of guns in society. That said, who's to say that the Kent State students would have been a war zone had they had guns? But other political demonstrations at the time of note (Chicago Democratic convention) showed very little gun use by activists. The students at Kent State were pacifists for the most part and probably wouldn't have used or even had guns, if it was allowed.

The logic of that makes you wonder why George Bush hasn't introduced legislation to make the carrying of loaded firearms manditory for everyone, children included, the only exception being convicted felons eh? Surely America would then become the safest place on earth. Personally, I doubt even GB is that f'in stupid.

That said, who's to say that the Kent State students would have been a war zone had they had guns? But other political demonstrations at the time of note (Chicago Democratic convention) showed very little gun use by activists. The students at Kent State were pacifists for the most part and probably wouldn't have used or even had guns, if it was allowed.

Exactly ....the Kent state students were peacefully demonstrating against the bombing of Cambodia. Our gun-totin' friend Bangkoktraveller suggested the National Guard would have thought twice about invading the campus if the students had been armed. I don't think so. Given the mentality they would have created mayhem if just one guardsman had been shot.

Anyway that's a peripheral discussion. What strikes me is how this discussion only comes up after some kid goes nuts in a school. Most people don't mind too much if it's just gangbangers shooting each other.

Archived