My friend fights for his life in bumrungrad hospital

Partyguy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His younger sister, Lindsay Wilson, 25, says the hospital is charging $3,000 a day just for the use of the room.

Please, I know the $ is weak at the moment but 100K THB / day is an exageration of the truth. Your friend chose to work and live here with no medical cover and than goes to the most expensive medical establishment in Thailand in his time of need.

It is cases like this why some people have negative thoughts towards english teachers

Thats a typo, should read B3,000 for "loom"

Stayed 11 nights in Bumrungrad, 5 in intensive care, bill was 200k.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention: insurance company paid all of it (not a Thai company though, be carefull)

Checked the bill:

room 11 nights: B41,030

nursing fees B20,260

Doctors fees!!! B55,000

No reason to up the price if you don't have insurance!!!

unfortunately the hospital cost is not an exageration, this is what they are charging. I will agree with you that travelling without insurance is a stupid thing to do, and would never leave my country without having it. He is a human being and the state he is in, has no bearing whether he was a beggar, doctor or english teacher... teaching was simply a means to stay in country he loves.

Negotiate the hospital bill. Get an itemized bill and go over it as closely as a bar tab. 3000 USD per day is well over the top for most 1st world countries. :deal:

Bumrungrads pricing is ridiculous and a blatant rip off but its not just them.

case no.1 - Twice ive come down with a sore throat and flu like symptoms. the first time i went to bumrungrad and they informed me that i had picked up a bug from air pollution. o.k no problem sir take this 1,200 baht medication and u'll be fine. i ask if there's a cheaper one and after a dissapointed look they pull out the same medication under a different brand name but this one is 200 baht.

i take the medicine and all is good, resume holiday. second time i go to thailand i pick up the same bug and return to the hospital. i get the same speech and once again they pull out the 1,200 baht medication. again i ask for the cheaper one and after some time convincing them that yes there is a cheaper one they pull out the 200 baht one.

case no.2

on a different trip i wake up one morning covered in a rash. i freak out and quickly get to bumrungrad and a dermatologist tells me its a heat rash and she gives me a bottle of alcohol rub and tells me it'll be a few days before it goes away. all up that'll be 3,000 baht (including hospital charge). i return to my hotel and find that the rash has dissappered naturally. i had slept under several covers while the air con was on, the air con had switrched off and id gotten a bit hot causing the rash. it went away a few hours after getting up.

bumrungrad will charge you as much money as they can get away with.

case no. 3

this time at a different hospital near RCA. i went to this hospital in a bad state after eating something dodgy. they could see i was in no state to leave so gave me medical care and a bed for the night. when it came time to check out the next day i had to get my thai gf to bring me some more money to pay the bill. when she asked them how much it would be they told her it was 8,000 baht for the night. she told me that was more than double what it would've cost if id been a thai.

hospitals in thailand are out to make as much money as humanely possible. this should be in the two tier pricing thread!

I've been charged the Thai price for medical treatment - but because I spoke to them only in Thai and showed them a Thai "temporary civil servant" ID card.

If you can read Thai, look at a hospital's site in both the Thai and English version. The price difference generally wil be 40% to 50% higher for foreigners.

really?

Is that only at bamrungrad or using any medical or other service in thailand?

Usually when I go to the hospital, dentist etc with my thai wife we always happen to pay about the same on the combined bill & I'm talking private service providers here. I suspect it'll still be the same in public hospitals...

And no I neither read thai nor have any thai ID cards although I do have a member card with a hospital nearby our home.

Should we simply conclude Bamrungrad is one of the worst 2 tier pricing hospitals in LOS or would that be ripoff joints? :-(

I'd cheer to that :beer:

You don't have to pay Bumrungrad for your medication. If they're at all professional they should write you a prescription. If not just make a note of the drug they're trying to sell you and buy it (or a cheaper generic version) at Fascino pharmacy. Then you just have to pay for the appointment. Although if you insist on going to private international hospitals for minor ailments like heat rash then you can't complain too much about the price.

Archived