My friend fights for his life in bumrungrad hospital

Partyguy

i didnt know it was heat rash at the time and if i was up to date with all other options (like all tourists really are ha ha) then i wouldnt have gone to an international hospital. i obviously had to be diagnosed first!!!! (think about it).

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

yes, realise i can get the prescription then buy it somewhere else but sometimes you need to learn from experience.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USD3k a day! Yikes!

FWIW the missus was charged something around B150k all in for around a 5 day stay last Month, including a couple of days in ICU.....but she being Thai and an existing patient for a few months may well have gotten her the "Locals" rate - but I don't know for sure - although I think it was pretty much the same prices as quoted on their Website. I recall however they do seem to have 2 different types of ICU.....and when I visited the month before (for a few tests etc) - cash up front was the norm!

Not Cheap for serious and / or long term with no Health Cover, even in Thailand.....but I was assured by da Missus their are cheaper and equivalent places in Bangkok.....but Thai language skills may well be useful even if not essential.

But me figured Bumrugrad was an ideal choice as also being Farang freindly - probably is overpriced, but I figured a) I had no reason to doubt their level of expertise was not as good as pretty much anywhere B) she was happy with the choice and c) I could afford it.

To be honest, despite da missus only making it out of ICU in a box - I have no reason to doubt the care provided as can't always do a lot about Bad Choices (over many years), Bad Luck and Old Age.........at 37 :cussing:

Many things I would have done differently, whether any would have made a difference I don't know - but the main would be that I would have tried to get her Health Insurance for reassurance value that a) nothing serious was known to be wrong and B) she / me had the comfort of a (pretty much) blank cheque available at short notice.

Ooops. Thread drift :)

His sister Erin has this posted on her Facebook:

They are going to be taking him out of hypothermic state .5 a degree per day. The dctor says this is a very touchy situation because they cannot risk Tyler having a fever however cannot keep Ty in the meditherm anymore due to risk of infection. It slows the immune system down. He is in a medically induced coma so I have not seen his eyes since I've been here. His heart rate does go up when I talk. He has amazing friends here like he does at home and they have been amazing. I'm going to Ty's apt. today and will be packing his stuff up and going up to the roof to see where he fell.

His fiance Mae is a loving woman who has been at the hospital with me every day.

Hi there!

O.k so Tyler is supposed to be brought out of his hypothermic state.5 degree per day. Yesterday he was at 37 but it started spiking to 38 so we are back to square one. They have started back at 35.

Tyler has soooo many friends here! I got to meet some more yesterday. All such great stand up guys!. It's nice to see. I spent a little more time with Ty's fiance Mae, such a sweetie. I got her flash cards and I'm teaching her some more english.tyler did teach her quite a bit but I thought it would pass the long days and Ty might get a kick out of the laughs from us as we do it.

As Ty would say,

PEACE,

E.

For a regular (not ICU, not ICU stepdown) room in a US hospital, $3000/day NET (inclusive of all medical services) is not that far off.

In 1993, I spent two weeks inpatient at Medical City Dallas Hospital, in Dallas TX. I was in ICU for five days, regular room for ten days. The raw bill from the hospital, before PPO discounts, was right around US$50,000. It split about evenly between ICU and regular room.

After PPO discounts, the insurance company ACTUALLY paid out about $24,000.

In contrast, something over a year ago, I was a regular room in Bumrungrad for three days, for gastroenteritis and resulting dehydration. The final bill was under US$1000.

I thought $3000/day for a hospital stay in a developing country like LOS is waaay too much. Having said that, if Bumrungrad is a world class hospital, maybe they are justified in charging so much -- but I think most people would avoid Bumrungrad at such high prices.

My wife spent approximately a month in a top notch hospital in USA about 2 yrs ago. The bill was about $100k -- about $3000/day -- total. We had primary and secondary insurance so everything was paid by insurance. Without the secondary, we would have paid about $20k of the total. It pays to have 2 health ins. I think $3000/day is too high even for a major US hospital.

I spent 10 days in ICU several years ago. Private room total cost $0.......private health is basic extortion here in Australia. I remember when I was in primary school in Commerce we were taught that the reason we pay taxes was so we had roads to drive our cars on, schools for us to attend and hospitals to go to when we got sick.

Now health insurance while O/S is a seperate issue and anyone who travels or works overseas is extremely foolish not to have it.

I have an annual policy that cost me $400 a year. Money well spent when you consider the OP.

Had to undergo an operation here in Spain a few months ago and spent only 4 days at hospital, cost me around 2K US$ as I wanted a single room.

Cost of operation etc... were covered by the social security system.

Did not even have to use my medical insurance.

Girlfriend just went to bumrungrad to check an eye problem, it cost her 1700 Bht including medicines.

She will probably go back to bumrungrad for another medical check (and an operation?) next week will see how much it costs.

Archived