Hua Hin recommendations please

Alfmaz

Sofietel is down towards the beach from there, maybe 200 meters, the other place (forget the name) is on the last street before the beach, leave PP Villa, make a right at the first street, within 200 meters from there on the right, very nice place, I forget the name, sorry.

As my initial plan was to go alone, I did find the Victory Monument in Bangkok that has the mini-buses. Nice little market area there and I found real fresh squeezed orange juice at this little outside market area.

Bangkok near Victory Monument. About a dozen mini-buses leave all day long.

In Bangkok the Victory Monument is a little harder to explain without some prior knowledge of the city, but easier if you are coming on the Skytrain. Firstly I have found in the past that many Thais and taxi drivers do not know what you are talking about if you ask for Victory Monument - they know it as Anutsawari Chaisamoraphum. If you can manage it, it is easier to find the minibuses coming from the Skytrain station. Follow the direction signs at the station towards Victory Monument, and once you have gone through the ticket barrier keep left and keep walking straight on the raised walkway, towards (when you can see it) the needle shaped monument in front of you - that is the Victory Monument. You will reach a point on the raised walkway where you can only go left or right - turn left and keep following the walkway around and then down the steps you come to at the end of the walkway. (As you are doing this you should be able to see a large hospital on your left). At the bottom of these steps keep going straight but slightly left to bring you into a pedestrianised area with lots of small stalls and shops, mostly selling food and drinks. You will come to a very small 7-11 on your right, and almost directly across from there on your left is a gap through to a soi which runs behind the pedestrian area - this is the soi where all the minibuses depart from, to many places. Go into this soi and turn right (you will see several minibuses parked along here) and normally no more than 50 metres along on the opposite side there is a couple of tables set up on the pavement where you can buy a ticket for the Hua Hin minibus. Alternatively if you just say 'Hua Hin' to one of the people around the minibuses or selling food and drinks in that soi they will point you in the right direction - the ticket guys sometimes are in a different place, but always in that soi. One bit of advice is that the most comfortable seat is immediately behind the driver, but it is normally snaffled by others first, and you will often be 'encouraged' by the driver to sit at the back, which is the least comfortable. I think this is because Hua Hin is the last stop and there will normally be people getting off in Petchburi and Cha Am.

Regular bus.

I have taken the train a few times, but I prefer the regular (VIP - or 1st class) bus. Its really simple too! All you have to do when you land at BKK International is approach a taxi and say "Bai Sai Dai Mai". They will take you to the Southern Bus Station. Go to booth 8 and buy a ticket for Hua Hin. The bus leaves just about every 40 minutes or so. The entire trip from Sai Dai Mai to Hua Hin takes about 3.5 hours, but of course that varies a bit. You pay about 140 baht and they take care of your luggage too.

Archived