is the max 90 days in 6 month rule gone?

samak

If it seems clear that you have been in Thailand for 90 days essentially without a break my reading of the rules is that your time is up, no matter if nobody checks or otherwise. Should you cross a line at some point thereafter and come under scrutiny there would be no excuses, you would have violated the rules and would be outta here, irrespective of any other infractions.

Is this right?

Yes, agreed 100%.

Although what Neo said is true at least in theory. It seems by the many stories I hear that nearby Thai embassies (in Penang, for example) are wise to that too and are starting to refuse to issue consecutive tourist visas and/or visas to people with too many 30 day stamps.

Mostly this was fallout from the xenophobic stand taken by the Taksin regime over the past few years IMHO, although I do not necessarily disagree with what they are doing. There *are* too many skint scumbags trying to fly under the radar here...

Cheers,

SD -- these stamp issues do not affect me

Last time I did a visa run the bus was mostly full of Philippino English teachers. I highly doubt they were legal. Itâ??s that kind of thing that screws it up for everyone else. Every year it seems to get a little harder due to new rules. But then again, so it is for other types of visas too, not just stamps and tourist type. Investment visa, gone. Elite, 500,000 baht price hike. Business/marriage, tougher requirements.

SD, as you say unfortunately there are large numbers of potless, dodgey farangs who tarnesh the reputation of the rest of us who try and behave in a reasonably civilised fashion when in Thailand. And who can at the end of the day can blame the Thais for getting fed up with it? And as Neo said sadly many other farangs who do not qualify for the new stricter requirements get tarred with the same brush and are finding it harder to have extended stays in Thailand.

Simie.

Archived