is the max 90 days in 6 month rule gone?

samak

on the last couple of immigration entries i noticed:

- many immigration stamps without visa seems to be no issue, no questions at all

- no notes and marks anymore in the passport

- last time not even photo was taken

is the max 90 days in 6 month with visa waiver rule gone? or did they at last realize that it is too complicate to enforce? or are the immigration officers during peak season just simply too busy to check on this?

on the last couple of immigration entries i noticed:

- many immigration stamps without visa seems to be no issue, no questions at all

- no notes and marks anymore in the passport

- last time not even photo was taken

is the max 90 days in 6 month with visa waiver rule gone? or did they at last realize that it is too complicate to enforce? or are the immigration officers during peak season just simply too busy to check on this?

Not only hasn't it gone away, it's spreading!!

Now, there are more and more reports of people being refused VISAS (not the 30-day free entry, which is not a visa) after they've bought 3-4 tourist visas consecutively in the region. Read thaivisa.com for multiple reports of this.

It's unclear whether Thai embassies in Western countries will start putting a cap on the number of tourist visas one can get in a row...so far it's just been the regional embassies (KL, Singapore, Vientiane, etc.).

preahko

You need to look at this objectively. The new tourist visa caps people talk about are in Malaysia. Do not confuse this as being some global policy in effect. Bear in mind other consulates have had even tougher policies in place for years like Singapore and Hong Kong. And then you have Vientiane which is now looser than before, with reports they even issue 2 entry tourist visas. In the US, you can still get 3 entry tourist visas which is good for 9 months.

• 3 weeks later...

My passport underwent lengthy and comprehensive scrutiny last time I crossed in from Laos. I thought they were gonna take me in for questioning or something.

However, once the officer had counted the number of days, and noticed the gaps between the admitidedly large number of entry stamps, he waved me on.

Have not read all of this thread yet, it's getting quite big. I do have two questions though.

Why would someone go to Cambodia to get their passport stamped? Does this indicate somebody without a visa just going in and out every 30 days?

Curious.

Apologies, don't want to hijack the thread.

1. It is the closest and cheapest way to get a 30 day stamp. There's a whole cottage industry that has sprung up offering this service, like these guys whom I'd recommend if you need such a thing.

2. Yes.

3. Don't worry about thread hijacks...it is a long and honourable tradition here.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- The slang term for this is a "visa run."

Jack golf is perhaps the most famous, and as mentioned there is a whole industry out there. The thing that scares me about jack golf is in the true spirit of Thailand, they have installed a PA system in their bus and love blaring useless one liners at everyone along the way. If you want a visa run where you can sleep in, try thaivisarun.com. They have a no alcohol policy and no restroom.

1. It is the closest and cheapest way to get a 30 day stamp. There's a whole cottage industry that has sprung up offering this service, like these guys whom I'd recommend if you need such a thing.

2. Yes.

3. Don't worry about thread hijacks...it is a long and honourable tradition here.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- The slang term for this is a "visa run."

Thanks,

Yeah, I understand the terminology. Just thought that such things were essentially a thing of the past. My thinking being that if you come on a 30 day waiver then do the run twice your 90 days are up so it's bye-bye for a while. If you planned on being here 90 days then why not a 60 day visa plus one run making 90 days, again bye-bye.

If it seems clear that you have been in Thailand for 90 days essentially without a break my reading of the rules is that your time is up, no matter if nobody checks or otherwise. Should you cross a line at some point thereafter and come under scrutiny there would be no excuses, you would have violated the rules and would be outta here, irrespective of any other infractions.

Is this right?

Archived