Baangkok Hosp or Bumrungrad

SanookMahk

I had the opportunity to visit Bumrungrad during my last visit. A bit of food poisoning (or was it just Bangkok belly :barf: ) was causing me distress over an 18-hour period.

For $52 US, I was back in the pink with much better service, care, and understanding than anything here in the good ol' USA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Medical care in both is on a similar level, it depends on your condition and on the doctor.

Bumrungrad tends to be more honest.

Bumrungrad staff is more arrogant.

I've been inpatient at Bumrungrad twice, for acute gastroenteritis (you DON'T want to know!), once for three days, once for one.

"Arrogant" is not the word I'd use. The Bumrungrad staff is damned good at what they do, and they take a lot of pride in their work. This can look like arrogance to some people.

I've also been hospitalized other places, and I've seen how really good emergency rooms crank up when a patient comes in who is in really bad shape.

Based on what I've seen, there and elsewhere, I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend Bumrungrad Hospital.

I've been treated at Bumrungrad several times, mostly for Bronchitis and other respiratory conditions and have always felt it was a first class experience, the staff never less than solicitous and helpful.

My complaint is the pharmacy which is pretty much inescapable; you never get a paper prescription to take elsewhere. It is transmitted directly from the attending physician to the pharmacy and that is where the sticker shock hits; all brand name drugs at full list price, just like home. You can't bypass the pharmacy as all your paperwork goes through it before it goes to the cashier. I was prescribed 6 different items and the bill for the pharmacy was more than B6000 The medical treatment, including x-ray and lab was less than B2000.

I later priced the generic Thai versions of the same drugs at a pharmacy near my apartment and they all came to B600, one tenth the cost of Bummy.

Hey Dave,

There is a way around this. Simply ask the doctor what he intends to prescribe for you. Write everything down and tell him that your wife's family has a pharmacy where you get a decent discount. The only limitation is if a a particular med is available at hospital pharmacies only which is sometimes the case.

This has always worked for me.

• 2 months later...
Hey Dave,

There is a way around this. Simply ask the doctor what he intends to prescribe for you. Write everything down and tell him that your wife's family has a pharmacy where you get a decent discount. The only limitation is if a a particular med is available at hospital pharmacies only which is sometimes the case.

This has always worked for me.

I found I could just tell the cashier, I'll buy the drugs myself. She takes them off the bill and then gives you a printout of the presribed drugs to take to the drugstore of my choice.

Hey Dave' date='

This has always worked for me.[/quote']

I found I could just tell the cashier, I'll buy the drugs myself. She takes them off the bill and then gives you a printout of the presribed drugs to take to the drugstore of my choice.

Why didn't I think of that :question: :dunno:

With government hospitals or those on Social Security (like myself) in Thailand where who go to private nominated Hospital, the consultation and Medication is free I would recommend the above! Find the name of the real medicine.

Why - sometimes the generic is NOT as good as the original - sometimes it is! Sometimes saving a buck when it concerns your health isn't a good idea

Phayatai 2 is where we take the kids - typically 1200 baht including consultation and medicine - pretty dam good deal.

I DON'T think at all the B/Grad is a great hospital. Many other Thai private hospital's far better and cheaper.

Archived