Kanchanaburi hotels?

khunsanuk

Hi,

Gonna take my parents to Kanchanaburi in a few weeks and am looking for a decent place to stay.

We will have our own transportation; price say up to 2,000 Baht-ish.

Any recommendations?

Also if anybody has any recommendations on interesting things to see there that would be great too. One place I have in mind already is the tiger temple. Saw that on TV the other day and it looks pretty neat.

Sanuk!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can either stay in the city (River Kwai Hotel which has seen better days) or at one of the many resorts along the river Kwai, like the Felix (but probably above 2000 THB).

if your parents like nature i could recommend Siam Buri Resort with its teak bungalows in the djungle at the river about 15 minutes out of town. not many farangs there. we have seen a huge watersnake when we were there.

landscape and nature is IMHO the major attraction of this province. if you have time drive the 200km to Sangklaburi (but forget the three pagoda pass, not impressive at all), take a longtail to the sunken temple (during these months you should be able to see the top above the water of the khao laem lake), visit sai yok and erawan waterfalls (of course you have to negotiate down the 400 THB national park charges)

Stayed at a few places. For the money I like the River Kwai hotel. Good central location. Make sure you get a room away from the disco. Ie on the backend..

The felix was nice but seemed over priced. I checked out since the beds were so hard that it killed my back.

Duenshine was very unimpressive- Dirty, no atmosphere, small rooms. Hated the place.

Pung-Waan Noi Resort was nice but very very quiet when we were there. I think we were the only ones in the place. But it has nice enough grounds and was very private

The Pavilion Rim Kwai Resort was very nice but quite aways from town. Need your own wheels.

But despite the musty carpets, dirty pool, below average breakfast I always stay at the River Kwai Hotel for its convenience to the city center (it is opposite the cemetary) and value for money. It it easy to find ( on the main drag), it easy to get to either Sai Yok or Erawan areas and it saves you about 20 minutes on your drive up from Bangkok. It is not a resort, it does not have the gardens of the Felix, it does not have the peace and quiet of the other ones, but it is average hotel with some benefits that outweighs the others.

Make sure you see the Railway Museum. Most Thais are more amazed than the farangs.

KS,

The Tiger Temple is a much better experience on TV, than it is in real life...JMHO...but it's worth a visit for the photos with the Tiger's....and it's a cheaper day than drinking with a Black Tiger...lol...

If you just want good clean cheap accommodation, the Luxury Hotel (Close to the Cemetary)is OK for around 800 - 900 a night and they have some family rooms... Very basic....but clean and the small Travel Agent, cum coffee shop restaurant out the front (on the main Road) does good cheap breakfasts)

Luxury, it's not....but it's clean and family friendly....mostly Thai customers and seems to be a stop off point for Thai sales Reps and Families

Cheers DS

Archived