Fast Food Worker Returns $185K Ck

Steve

Fast-food worker returns $185,000 check

McDonald's employee returns check to bank after finding it on sidewalk

The Associated Press

updated 5:30 a.m. PT, Wed., Jan. 2, 2008

NORWICH, Connecticut - Reggie Damone just wanted to jot down a phone number when he picked up what he thought was litter on a sidewalk this week. But what he found was an envelope containing a $185,000 check.

Damone, who receives government-issued food stamps for low-income workers and works at a McDonald's fast food restaurant, said he did not think twice about trying to cash it. Instead, the 47-year-old took a bus Monday from his Jewett City home to a bank and returned the check to the niece of the landlord to whom the check was written.

She thanked Damone with a $50 bill.

Damone said that although he knew $185,000 could pay his rent and other bills for a long time, he was never tempted to try to cash it and splurge.

He says he remembered his mother's words: If you take something, you lose three times that amount â??and if you do something good, something good comes back to you...

He'd have had a difficult time cashing a check in that amount even if it was made out to him. Not like he probably had the funds to cover it in an account which would have allowed him to cash the check without waiting for it to clear. Would be interested in knowing what he have done if he'd found a bank bag full of 1000's of dollars with a deposit slip inside. Still, good on him for doing the right thing. :thumbup:

HH

Fast-food worker returns $185,000 check

McDonald's employee returns check to bank after finding it on sidewalk

The Associated Press

updated 5:30 a.m. PT, Wed., Jan. 2, 2008

NORWICH, Connecticut - Reggie Damone just wanted to jot down a phone number when he picked up what he thought was litter on a sidewalk this week. But what he found was an envelope containing a $185,000 check.

Damone, who receives government-issued food stamps for low-income workers and works at a McDonald's fast food restaurant, said he did not think twice about trying to cash it. Instead, the 47-year-old took a bus Monday from his Jewett City home to a bank and returned the check to the niece of the landlord to whom the check was written.

She thanked Damone with a $50 bill.

Damone said that although he knew $185,000 could pay his rent and other bills for a long time, he was never tempted to try to cash it and splurge.

He says he remembered his mother's words: If you take something, you lose three times that amount â??and if you do something good, something good comes back to you...

Impossible! NO American wants to do that low paying job, that is why we need illegals to do it...sorry, carrying over a rant from another thread...good on him for returning it no matter how difficult it would be for him to cash it, it makes the other person's life that much easier.

The $50 is a pisstake and is no incentive to other people to do the right thing. I might return a cheque as its worthless but no way would I return $185,000 or any amount in cash. Tough shit and good luck to me.

Yes, I would tend to agree here. The idea is, a check that large might have all sorts of hoops to jump through to have replaced. Additionally, the owner of the check might need the money for some big business deal that might fall through if the check needed to be replaced etc...as for cash...? NFW I'd return it if I found it, especially if I was dirt poor busting my ass at a shit job.

Archived