Cross Border Students

Steve

When the southwest belonged to Mexico, nobody lived there! California had a population of about 20,000. There were no settlements in Arizona north of Tucson. The parts of Nevada, Utah and Colorado that were annexed in 1848 did not have a single non-Indian inhabitant. New Mexico's population was concentrated around Santa Fe in the north and Mesilla in the far south.

So how does that entitle Mexican immigrants from Guadalajara or Chihuahua to say the US southwest somehow is theirs, when their ancestors never lived there? About like me saying the north of England is mine because my grandfather's brother's wife was from Manchester.

If anyone's got a right to claim the southwest, it's the Indians. So let's all learn Navajo or Apache or Mojave instead of Spanish.

You loose the argument because Latinos do not history, do not read but are positive they have a right to everything.

Sunday we were in Mescal, Arizona. We stopped at a convenience store to use the restrooms and get some things to eat. One Mexican (probaly illegal) asked me which bathroom was the men's room. I told him. I was surprised I knew that much Spainish. The dumb shit used the bathroom, but didn't know where the light was. Shit!

I was a minority when I was a kid in Dona Ana County, N Mex - right on the border. But the Hispanics were all legal! New Mexico is officially bilingual and we studied Spanish in school as just one of our subjects. No problem with that, since I lived in a part of the state that actually was settled in the 1600s. I heard 'Spanglish' spoken as often as English. (Spanglish = Looka alla a esta sexy Chica con las great big tits!)

Things are different there now, I'm told. I worked with a colonel's wife who was from Anthony, NM/TX. She said she moved her parents out of there because too many illegals had settled in and the crime rate was going up. Tells you what the Hispanic folks who really do belong there think of illegals.

Archived