Estonian man murdered in Soi 15, Walking Street, Pattaya

wonderlust

As previous posters have mentioned I think the Thai reaction was totally over the top and the victims where foolish to have gone back in the 1st place. But I think part of the problem with these sort of incidents that happen on a regular basis in Pattaya is that many people who are new or relatively new to the place just have no idea what they are getting into. From the regular tourists who are basicly missold their holiday as they probably think they are going somewhere that looks like Phuket or Samui and end up in the biggest brothel in the world.

In a selfish way, I hope these sort of stories do get more publicised in Russia and East European countries. There are too many 'normal' tourists from these places coming to Pattaya already. It's about time they got a clue and started going to proper (non sex) destinations and left us mongers alone. :thumbup:

However, the murders of 2 Russian women didn't seem to stop many Russians, did it? I'd guess that, even with these murders, Thailand still doesn't seem violent compared to what they're used to at home.

There's also something very strange about 3 tourists who would go back to a bar in that way. I mean, I've heard of people staying to fight but have you ever heard of anyone going back?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Soi 15 is one af my favourites so the whole thing is very disturbing to me. There can't be more than about 15 male touts on that soi so they must all have just piled in to whack the farang. Normally I just ignore them but that's going to be difficult knowing they have blood on their hands. Who wants to be paying the wages of murderers?

I haven't found them annoying or intimidating up to now but I'm curious as to what their reaction will be now they've killed a farang. Will they be cowed? Or proud? As in "don't mess with us"?

It'd be nice to have a first hand account. We hear that 15 Thais piled in but how many were really fighting and how many were just watching or shielding the fight from wider public view?

They almost always leave me alone (I've got the hardened mongers 1000 yard stare :) ) but, a couple of weeks ago, I let one lead me to What's Up (where I was going anyway). As he walked ahead, I decided to pause and tease him a bit, making out that I'd changed my mind. He took it well. (He didn't bottle me :thumbup: ).

I think they have got an exaggerated sense of pride though which does get battered from the people who look at them like they're scum and push them away simply for doing their job. I notice a lot of the Patpong touts seem to appreciate it if you actually answer them 'Mai ow krap'. They'll usually then make a point of reciprocating that tiny bit of respect and will leave you alone. Saying 'fuck off', like simie's mate, is over the top.

i cant believe how stupid some foreingners are, i say they got what was coming to them as they stepped out of line. everyone knows what thailand is like and everyones knows the thais can get away with murder. these 3 guys were dumb asses, they should of just accepted there fate the first time and walk away. i have been going to pattaya for 14 years, started when i was 24 and ive never had one spot of bother in the whole of thailand. some people seem to think they own this place, they walk around pig ignorant with no respect or morals and then when they are beaten or robbed they going running to the police like cry babies. yeah its a sad fact that the guy died but like all of u r saying, it can happen anywhere in the world. maybe in the future the 2 guys will look back on this and hopefully learn from it, if not i am sure they will end up like there friend.

True. My dad always used to say to me before I want off on my hols, never ever take on a local; you will lose.

Dave

Not true. A couple of months ago, I saw a young Japanese(?) tourist take on a much older motorcycle guy. The tourist was completely on his own and seemed to have initiated the fight. I thought Thais, especially fellow motorcycle guys, would join in to attack the tourist but they didn't. A couple intervened to break up the fight, just as would happen in most western countries. The fighters walked away.

I remember about 10 or 12 years ago a friend of a friend was walking down Patpong 1 slightly worse for drink and instead of ignoring the touts told one to fuck off. Almost instantly he was jumped by about 7 or 8 and given a good beating, but fortunately nothing too serious.

Simie.

Typical Thai fair handedness.

Agree completely that this kind of thing is just another night in Pattaya, where some bad luck in wound placement left one guy dead - if the guy doesn't happen to bleed to death, it's just another fight like every night (and perhaps a little understanding for the murderer - I doubt he was going for the femoral artery with that bottle, but now he's a killer). I'm also with you on your advice to those who find themselves in the Estonians position - and most of us have probably been there: be smart enough to cut your losses at a bit of money and/or pride, and enjoy the rest of the night without trying to play a game whose rules you don't know.

Where I disagree is regarding the BiB attitude towards farang. Right, they probably are not going to go to very great lengths to solve this or other murders, but it's not like they do for dead thais (and Cambos or Burmese murder is just a job for the meatwagon, not the police...) For the most part, the BiB are fairly good when it comes to tourists, and so are the Tourist Police. Farang could be seen as walking, talking cash machines by cops like those in Pattaya, open for shakedowns, set-ups and other cons, but I think the reality is they generally handle farang with a light touch, until they are really out of line. I don't recall ever seeing pics of farang who, while in police custody, 'walked into a door' or suffered other 'accidents'. I do recall having seen countless incidents of drunk or otherwise undignified farang men acting like assholes while the cops stand around patiently and wait for things to come to an end. No nightsticks, no tasers, no headlocks or knee in the back unless it's needed. They deserve a little credit, I say.

cheers,

YimSiam

Archived